1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have a hard time remembering things

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by VyreRain, Jan 4, 2013.

1. VyreRain

I dunno why I try to remember things but the only things that I can remember without seeing day to day are detailed information I cant remember faces sometimes names even ... I'm 20 years old this isn't normal is it? ....I would appreciate any advice.... I don't do doctors so Dunn even make the suggestion.

2. Hexagon

Well I don't know about you, but my low recall rate of faces and names is related to not giving a shit about the people I meet. I'm not saying its definitely that, but you might want to make sure you're actually paying attention to the names/faces you're trying to remember.

3. VyreRain

Well the person who made think of asking this was named Jeremy ... but after thinking long and hard for hours I cant remember his face or last name.... he's an old friend who I really liked.....

4. burg

hey your memory sounds a bit like mine.i can remember chess games I've played 10 years ago.names faces i go blank far more than any body i know.i do have a trick if i need to remember something. have you heard of mind mapping .for example i meet a guy jack the other day so i put the jack and Jill went up the hill song in my head.

5. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a bad memory, and good at the same time. I don't know how to explain it, but faces are hard for me to remember. I get scared of embarassing myself with that one since everyone tends to look the same to me if there isn't a defining difference...

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not an expert on this...

Read up on Aspergers if it is only social interaction memory you have difficulty with.

Einstein and Newton are reputed to have had Aspergers so in some regards it can be a blessing.

The Benefits of Asperger's Syndrome

Stuck

7. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
  8. Deaf Not Blind

or you may not have any trouble at all.
    i forget names of close friends if not talk for 6 months.
    it is embarrassing!
    faces i remmy but can't remmy name to go with face.

OH did i mention in Deaf culture its rude to not remmy names sign names and stuff abt them 1st time ya meet? yeah...im evil. :/

9. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds kind of like me, but I might not actually have anything. Who knows.
    It is kind of weird to think about it, but I need more experience now. I'm usually not around people so I never get the chance to test it anymore. But I can tell you it is not fun when someone changes their hair or changes up their style. I definitely feel like I could pass them by. And one time in my youth group I didn't know if I knew this one girl or not. I thought of a couple of people she could be, she may have seemed familiar, but I couldn't tell you looking at her face. Even family or people I know, it's hard to picture their face. And I couldn't tell you any features of it.

You know, thinking right now, in my head, the people are kind of blurred. Especially their face. But I can remember the objects and environment quite well. When I was in school my mom thought it was funny that I could tell her what page the answer to something was and where at on it. I don't have a perfect memory, but with people it's hard.
    And quite honestly scary. Not being able to recognize people by their faces, always worrying what if they change?

10. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Prosopagnosia is actually not that uncommon, I think it was about 1 in every 50 people or so.

Its important to note that it obviously comes in varying degrees. Some people find it incredibly difficult, whereas some people can only recall certain features such as face shape.

Personally though, I think if you have trouble remembering faces, you most likely have that condition in some varying degree. I say this because I have no issues recalling faces from people I have met all throughout my life. They are vivid and clear. I could say that's because I have a pretty good memory but that would be lying.

#10 INTJ, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Curious...

How is your memory for fads, fashions, celebrities, pop culture, sports and bands?

I cannot recall much of any of that sort of thing.

Data and life events are a totally different level of memory. No problem there at all.

Stuck

12. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Found this test online if anyone's interested:

Famous Faces

13. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have that from time to time (like go back to a store a few days later and not recognize the sales person who helped you with something), although strangely I do tend to remember guys better - same with names :icon_redf

14. VyreRain

@Stuck mistake, I cant remember much about fashion.... or a lot of stuff ...hell I have little memories from the past ... what I can remember Id prefer not to talk about.

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay