1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eye contact... O.o

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Akatosh, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Akatosh

I have a difficult time holding eye contact with people, especially those whom I'm closest too. Eye contact with the parents is minimal, as well as other family and friends. I can stare a stranger in the eyes and appear normal all day long, but I have the hardest time with the people who matter most. I came out to my best friend on Christmas Eve, and last night we talked for hours and hours about it. Although I'm out to him now, it's just as difficult holding eye contact as before. Does this get better with time? I know my eye contact problem is from being shy and closeted, it should get better, I hope. :slight_smile:

2. AaronG

AaronG Guest

I have trouble with eye contact too, it just feels strange to me. I've always been that way though. I'm horribly shy in person as well.

3. jaysuss

I seem to have the opposite problem where people don't look me in my eyes. I feel like a scary person. The only person I struggle looking in the eye is my swim coach and that is because i am scared of him!

4. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One good tip is to look at the mouth. Yes, you don't need to look in the eyes! The other person can not tell the difference, don't worry.

It helps a lot, and you will get used to eye contact, even if that is not exactly an "eye contact" haha!

Try it, and tell me how did it go : )

It also works for the nose.

5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't really worry about it. I don't really have a hard time looking anyone in the eye except my bestie who I confessed my love to. I usually hold eye contact longer than the other person.

You're probably just shy. If you're around people enough, you'll get used to it. :slight_smile:

6. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think a lot of people have trouble with this at times....speaking for myself as well. I think it's normal.

I did have a boss however, that could not look at anyone directly....never mind looking someone in the eyes. I actually used to take pleasure in trying to look him directly in the eyes just because you could tell it bothered him. By the way....he was dick and nobody trusted him.

7. TKM

TKM

Same here, it feels weird if I look someone in the eyes, I think it does get better over time, but for me I'm only comfortable looking people in the eyes that I'm comfortable with, mostly because I'm not thinking about it too much.

8. Rexmond

You're not the only one :wink:

I never keep eye contact for very long, even in the most serious of discussions with anyone. Usually I only do for a few seconds, but with the person that I love, and when it's personal things we discuss we both do it for a few seconds, but it's the moment that counts. I don't really find it much of a problem. If it was for an interview or something like that I'm usually fine.

9. isobella

I was only first able to use eye contact at all whatsoever just under a year ago.
    (I have Asperger's syndrome)

I'm still unsure of how to use it - I've been accused of staring or not blinking for an extended time, and sometimes even having a 'creepy look'.. I can't help it, I'm still learning.

(I'm 17 1/2)