1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to easily angered dad advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cynder, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Cynder

Okay, so, I was going to tell my dad that I am bi tonight. Like right now, and I don't know how I should do it. He recently has been more supportive of my desitions, and I am going to my moms house tomorrow so I don't have to be here all day tomorrow. I really don't know how he will react at all. Also, he is on the computer and watching tv, and I really don't want him to mishear me, and then us have an argument about talking clearly when I say this, ut if I make a special event out of it and het him to mute the tv and all that stuff it might create an awkward situation I can't get out of. Any advice on what I should do?

2. jaysuss

I think it might just be a good idea to tap him on the shoulder and just say that you are bi. That way you get his attention and if he didn't hear you then you can tell him upon his request. He may get angry but we can only hope for the best. Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Rexmond

How you do it isn't really the problem, it's how he's going to react right? Of course knowing what to say is important too, it's tough though for sure. I remember trying to tell my mum something, and the sentence would literally not come out. I could say it in my head hundreds of times though.

If he's recently been more supportive, then you could use that and continue to make more of these decisions, do something that will make him really content, just so that when you tell him he won't be completely angry. I hope it goes alright for you though and best of luck. Let us know how it goes, if you do decide. :slight_smile:

4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say why do you want to do this now? It seems forced. Wait until a time when you're both at ease and having a good conversation. If something comes up about dating/girls that would be a good segue into coming out. I dunno, whatever you decide, good luck :thumbsup:

5. Incognito10

Just ask if you could have his attention to discuss something. Set a relaxed tone. You say in your title that he angers easily though. Maybe you could write out what you want to say in the form of a letter to give to him...

6. Cynder

Hey guys. Thanks for the advice. I didn't do it. He was yelling to someone on the phone almost all night starting right when I was about to say it. Maybe it's a sign, eh? Anyways, if he wakes up early enough I might try to tell him tomorrow morning before I leave, or maybe I will write him a letter, then see how he acts on Sunday. Anyways, thanks guys.