1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm unsure of what to do.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexandraisPan, Jan 4, 2013.

1. AlexandraisPan

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there, newbie here.

Today, my partner told me that they now consider themselves transgender. (I'm still unsure of what pronouns to use, to be honest; they said to continue to call them "he" until they are fully out so I guess I'll do that.)

One of my partner's parents is MtF, and made the transition when my partner and his brother were young teenagers, and it's affected my partner very much. He's afraid to be trans*, I think, because he views his parent as having lost her way and focusing much more on being a girl than being the awesome person she was before her change. My partner is terrified of having that happen to him also.

He's also worried of how his friends would see him if he were to make the transition. A lot of our friends have expressed their disgust about my partner's parent, and he doesn't want that same disgust directed at him. He told me that I seem to be the only person who would understand (I'm genderqueer, natal sex is female).

I need help. I don't know how to comfort someone who doesn't even want me to refer to them as "her" or reference the conversation at all, even in private. I love my partner so very much and I only want his happiness.