1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have 8 days, 2 hours and 30ish minutes until my 20th birthday...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shiny Espeon, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Shiny Espeon

How the hell I am going to tell my Dad that I'm gay before then? When I first started coming out, my goal was to be out to my family by my birthday. I've gotten through Mom. That was easy. I knew she knew, I just had to let her know I knew that she knew. But the next step is dad. I have absolutely no idea how to start that conversation. :help: :bang:

2. Salazar

Get your mum to help you. Tell her you want to tell him, and, if all else fails, have her tell him. Good luck!

3. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is good to have goals but if you're not really ready....don't force yourself.

Is there a reason you think that he might take it bad?

4. Shiny Espeon

I just have this really weird feeling inside. I know I'm ready for this. It's all that's been on my mind since I first told my best friend. But... I mean, he's never said anything bad about gays. It's just... our relationship hasn't ever really been great. We get along, but we don't talk. I just don't know how to approach the subject.

5. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe you should ask your Mom how you should handle it. If your Mom knew before you told her, maybe he does too and is just waiting for you to come to him. I wish I had some better advice but like it says on my profile....I feel like I'm closet-locked.

6. Mhin

Ask your mom what way is the best to approach your dad when you come out. Above all, your mom knows everything about your dad. Good luck :slight_smile:

7. Shiny Espeon

Oh, I wish it could be that easy. I know above all that when I tell him, she is going to be here. I'll feel safer. I don't really think anything bad is going to happen.

As for my mom knowing my dad... They've been 'married' for almost 28 years. They haven't been a couple for at least 5 years. They just got together too young. But she would hopefully at least know how he may take it.

I just feel like it is my responsibility to tell him. On my own. Mom may be in the room, but it seems like it needs to be a me and him conversation, you know?

8. Mhin

I'll base on what you think, if you feel that there is nothing bad that will happen, then go talk to your dad alone, It will be hard but it will pass and hopefully it will get better.

9. Shiny Espeon

What about a letter? I just don't think I can say the words "I'm gay" to my father's face at this point. Which is weird, because when talking with my friends, I could care less about it. What kind of success have people had with written letters before?