1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mum had a gay friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bzrk, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Bzrk

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hi
    My mum started to talk about the people she used to work with and she mentioned one of them is gay. That got us talking about how he didnt lie to tell anyone he was gay because of how people reacted and she said "If he's gay he's gay." Do you think she'll feel the same way about me being gay? (*hug*)

2. Nothing is definite. While your mom can be understanding and supportive of friends, she can be completely different when it comes to her own child. For example, I've seen many a time when someone would say, "I'm okay with gay people, as long as my son isn't." But this is a good sign nonetheless, and it can be an indication that your mom is cool with homosexuality.

3. Rexmond

You're definitely in a better position with that piece of information, but it could go either way: your mother will be accepting straight away, with maybe a few questions etc, or she could react how we all wish our parents don't react. Either way you'll never know until you tell her. I'm sure if it is the latter of the two, your mother will quickly over time become totally understanding and supporting with your sexuality. :slight_smile:

4. PatyR

No one could know. My mom is supportive towards LGBT people and when I told her she was surprised but not angry or anything, she's supportive. But it depends on your mom, you can't be 100% sure. Just try to be confident and tell her when you're ready :slight_smile:

5. shovelman

Parents can be hard to read because while they might have an open opinion on anything in general not just homosexuality it could all change when it hits too close to home in this case their children. Try asking questions about her friend in a not too obvious way or bring subjects up related to GLBT for example like their thoughts on gay marriage, tell them you read online that Louisiana could become the 10th state to support gay marriage or something current so you have "a reason" to ask. I hope you the best of luck trying to figure things out. :slight_smile: