1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Employment & Law School Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rakkaus, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Alright, so it's been a bit over a month since I had my last meltdown here...back then that was the night before I was taking the LSAT exam and I made a thread about feeling kinda trapped due to being stuck living unemployed with my not-very-supportive parents, maybe some people will remember...while the holidays are over, I really still don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

Since then I've tried to branch out and do some things differently. I finally started to get involved with the local LGBT center and am meeting with a social worker there weekly now. I went to this employment office they referred me to and put in some applications there but still haven't really made any progress on the job front...

But anyway I got my scores back from the LSAT exam recently...I did okay I guess, but nowhere near as well as I would have wanted to do, nor anywhere near as well as I think I could do had I actually taken the time to prepare in a meaningful way. It was just kinda of a rush to take it, because I don't want to waste any more time.

Now I need to decide what to do...I was having second thoughts before I took the test about even wanting to go to law school (which I think hurt my morale and motivation when taking the test too), and I'm still unsure about what to do. I feel like I'm just trying to go to law school to escape my present situation and give me an excuse to move somewhere else, but if I don't go with this I literally don't have any alternate plans on the horizon...and I can't keep going on like this. I am seriously on the verge of getting kicked out soon, my relationship with my mother's husband has gotten worse than ever.

And the application deadlines are approaching. Time is flying. I can't believe how fast the days of the new year are moving already, already just a few hours to Jan 6.

So, just curious, does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Should I apply to law school? Should I wait? Should I forget about that and do something else? (What?) I feel like my mind is just fried at this point...:confused:

2. redstormrising

The legal market is absolutely terrible right now. I couldn't recommend in good conscience that anyone go to law school unless they've gotten into one of the top 14 law schools, or have a way to pay for law school without taking out loans, or really and truly want to be a lawyer even if it means ending up in a job that may not pay much. So many recent law grads are finding themselves six figures in debt and unable to find employment at all, nevermind a job that pays well. If you're thinking of law school because you can't think of anythng better to do, don't go.

3. regime

regime Guest

I love law and have a strong passion for it...even if its looking grim the law makers in this country make me want to still go for this career and help fix it...however i am going to be minoring in history..and marketing..things that i think i could have a fall back on...I would go with your heart..but also your head..think about your future...if law is going to leave u in debt..and not really happy than there is no point...

4. Yoshi02

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I'm not a lawyer, but I have one for a father and I now work with a lot of them, so I feel comfortable in saying if the field of Law is not something you have a deep passion for you are probably better off figuring out something else to do. There seem to be a lot of lawyers out there these days and unless you're just flat out amazing at it jobs may be hard to come by.

That's just my personal opinion. If you feel this truly what you want to do then why wait? There's never a perfect time to do anything really, so if you know this is what you want then go ahead after it now.

5. RainbowBright

Law is pretty all-consuming. I have friends who are lawyers, and although they are doing very well, it has taken up every other part of their lives. There's nothing wrong with applying if you can afford the applications, but there is a problem with paying/taking loans to go somewhere to spend an entire life engrossed in something you don't have a passion for. It's not really a fall-back hobby. If you have the kind of grades to get into law school, then you probably can get into something else that will get you out of the house and has decent pay, but with less commitment so you have time to think.

You need to get out of the house, so what about applying to something you find interesting but would be relatively easy for you to get into, if you don't know what you want? You may be a small fish in the big pond of law applications, but maybe you're a big fish in a small pond of a low-level job that lines up with your undergrad degree. You could also try traveling around and surviving by being a waiter, or having two menial jobs - whatever it takes to get out of the house, give you new experiences, and bides time for you to figure out what you really love to do. When you find what that thing is, you will find a way to make money at it because your willingness to do your best every day for no pay at all will eventually bring you a good income as a great employee or entrepreneur.

Law is never an only choice, it's what you do because you love it. It's not what you do to find yourself in, though, it's more what you do to lose yourself in more often than not. There is no time to think about who you want to be when you are logging insane hours studying, and proving yourself in internships and in law reviews as a law student. The first 5 years after graduating continue to be insane, and it will always be that way if you want to really be good. It's not a lifestyle with a lot of balance. And you were not even interested enough to do much studying for the LSAT, so I don't see how you're going to get up enough to interest to force yourself through that many years of grueling work. You have plenty of other options, try for anything and everything if you really don't care, and just see where the wind takes you!