1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pet names

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MerBear, Jan 5, 2013.

1. MerBear

i don't why but i use to hate being called "baby" , i wanted my ex boyfriend one time to call me baby because well, it was just the thing then and i wanted it , i thought it would make me feel special....but when he called me , i hated it. i couldn't stand it. it made me uncomfortable therefore felt guilty for calling me so then i thought i just hated pet names

but when girls do it , it makes me feel happy...like my ex girlfriend scarlett
    (just because im sick of saying online) but whenever she would call me sweetie , it made my stomach flip. i loved it when she would call me sweetie

sweetheart , darling....i love it but its usually only when girls say it.

does anyone else get this? or do you not care for pet names?

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like pet names like, baby, honey, hon/hun, babe and bay. That's about it though; my kids father would always call me bay when we were together. However, since I'm exclusively attracted to women, it makes me feel special when they call me babe :slight_smile: My friend who's Puerto Rican calls me chula, which I absolutely adore.

3. Yoshi02

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Well I've never been in a serious relationship so I've not been called by pet names before. It sounds to me like you just don't like the word "baby". Or perhaps you like your ex girlfriend more than your ex boyfriend?

4. lexi

lexi Guest

I love pet names :slight_smile: Baby is my favorite, Darling my second :slight_smile: but i also like dear, M'dear, dearie, honey, sweetie, cutie, love, and some shortenings of my name.

My boyfriend call me all sorts of pet names, some of them he just makes up on the spot (cuteface? lol)

I HATE it when girls call me "hon" or "sweetie" because they're acting like they're better than me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ("nice try hon" "oh sweetie") but if they're saying it affectionatly its okay :slight_smile:

5. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love pet names. My ex girlfriend used to call me babe and hun, and I loved it. But when a guy does it, I shudder in disgust. I feel so creeped out for some reason. ._.

6. FruitFly

Darling, love, woman and words along those lines? Yes, lovely, fantastic. However I can't stomach baby, babe or baby girl. I just ... no. An ex called me baby girl once and it just killed the mood for me completely.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Love is one my gf uses, and I'd personally like using cutie. She also calls me Ty-chan, as my first name's Tyler, and I'm a few months younger than you. "-chan" is a respectful Japanese suffix for those younger than the speaker.

^^Both of us are casual anime fans/Japan aficionados, and I think it's cute. :slight_smile:

8. animequeen567

I can't stand pet names. They just make me feel uncomfortable.

9. isobella

I cannot emphasize just how much I hate the more common, and oftentimes commercialized 'pet names'.
    ESPECIALLY 'baby'.

I have gotten into a bad habit of calling my close female friends 'bee', but it doesn't seem to bother any of them.

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2013 at 05:04 PM ----------

Oh yes! Same!
    I find it excessively creepy when guys try to use 'pet names'.
    It comes across to me as horribly sexual, and just really, really unpleasant.

10. MixedNutz

I like pet names, but I only use them over text. I just realized this. Lol

11. Capichino

Hey I was wondering why u disabled ur page I was going to say hi

12. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I like pet names. I like babe, baby, sweetie, darling... I think its cute! :grin:

13. aeva

I call everyone 'hun' as a term of affection (as I'm sure some have noticed in chat), from people I barely know yet still care about, to my best friend of 14 years.

I call my good friends "lovey" quite a lot as well. "Babe" is reserved for my best friend, or whoever I'm dating.

I can't really think of anything else I really call somebody I'm dating though. Usually I'll call them by their name (or a shortened version of it).

I don't mind what somebody calls me, as long as it's not overly cutesy. 'Honey' also sounds strange to me, I feel like it's something that's shared between really long-term (usually married) couples.

14. Sacha

Sacha Guest

I don't like pet names at all unless they're unique to the "user".
    One of my really close friends is norwegian and she calls me elskede (it means love or lover). It isn't really a very nice sounding word but I just love it when she says it with her accent.

15. MerBear

i loved when my ex would call me sweetie and my friend lauren would call me hun and i just couldn't get enough haha ,

16. Rexmond

Haven't been in a relationship, but I do imagine most of our conversations will be filled with pet names.

17. Kay

Kay Guest

I love pet names and use them with many people. I call my partner Love and Darling the most. She calls me idiot way to much JK her pet name for me is sweetie. I like it.

18. MerBear

i think sweetie will probably be my favorite pet name

19. Jim

Jim

I hate most pet names. Especially "baby" and "dear". My grandma calls me "peach" though, which I don't mind.

20. Willjarvis

This is why I'd consider using them when being condescending, but I've never done so and it would probably backfire on me.

Pet names are just about non-existant in my background, although they might be used in private. Possibly as a consequence of this, when someone calls me "dude", which they don't around here, I find it quite touching, even though it's not a pet name as such and I know they don't mean anything by it.