1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Butch" Jeans for Lesbians

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kc1895, Jan 6, 2013.

1. kc1895

Does anyone know where I can find jeans that hang lower below the waist for women? I've looked everywhere but all they have is the tight "fitted butt" jeans. I don't feel comfortable shopping in the men's section where they have looser fitting ones. Is there a specific brand or store butch lesbians go to buy their jeans??? :confused:

2. cloudburn

What about high rise jeans? Or boot cuts? They sell them virtually everywhere, you just have to look a little harder. I've seen them at walmart though :grin:

3. Ianthe

Why don't you feel comfortable buying from the men's section? Women buy clothes for men all the time. Take your measurements so you know what size you should be, and then buy from places that take returns, and you can try them on at home. Pretend you are buying gifts for someone. "I'm not sure what size the person I'm buying this for wears--will I be able to return or exchange it if it isn't right?"

If you think the salesperson will know it's really for you based on what you are already wearing--well, then they are judging you on clothes that you are already wearing in public, not on what you are buying. Nobody looks at me funny when I buy a sweatshirt for my dad. There's no reason the salespeople have to know you are shopping for yourself unless you tell them. And if they are thinking things about you based on the clothes you're wearing, well, people will think the same things no matter where you go wearing them. You are just unusually conscious of it while clothes shopping.

If you really don't want to go into a store and buy them, you could also order them shipped to your house.

If what you want are men's jeans, you are not going to be happy with any women's jeans. None of them are going to look like you want them to.

Get what you really want, or you won't be happy.

brynne likes this.
  4. redstormrising

really, no one will give you a hard time for shopping in the men's dept. my partner wears almost exclusively men's clothes, and she tries them on in-store just like i do with women's clothes. no one has ever even commented on it. i'm too small for men's, but even before i realized i was gay, my wardrobe always included a couple items of boy's clothing (sweatshirts, cargo shorts, etc). it isn't really that unusual for women to wear men's clothing :slight_smile: if men's jeans are what you want, you should go for it

5. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I felt the exact same way at first and trust me, it's not as bad as you think it will be!! I was so nervous the first time I bought from the men's department, and it was fine! Just try to remember that women buy clothes from the men's section all the time!

Oh and a jean that fits more saggy, try the boyfriend cut. I know they have them at The Gap, they are pricy but the fit is supposed to be looser, I have a pair for myself and they are amazing! I also like to wear men's bootcut jeans.

6. Hexagon

I agree about shopping in the mens department, its really no one's business why you're in there, or who you're buying for, and to be honest I don't think many people are surprised when women shop in the men's department. However, if you don't want to, you might try buying online.

7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the others. Buying from the men's section really isn't so bad. I often see women browsing through the men's section and think nothing of it. I don't care if they're buying for someone else, or themselves. It's none of my business what they choose to wear, or where they buy their clothes. Perhaps other people feel the same when they see myself or other women buying from there?

If I see a tshirt I like and it's in the men's section, I don't care. I buy it because I like it. Same with the golf shirts I wear. I buy board shorts from the men's section too because I don't like the ones for women. I also prefer men's jeans but am fortunate that I can find women's jeans that fit me well and make me feel comfortable too. A while ago while I was still unsure of my sexuality, I even went to look for men's underwear, and wasn't ashamed to ask one of the assistants about specific ones I'm looking for. I'm sure she didn't care whether I was buying for myself or someone else. They make their money either way. Just something to keep in mind :icon_wink

Have fun shopping for the perfect jeans. You're bound to find something you're comfortable in (*hug*)

8. RainbowBright

Buy a very large size, straight leg wide cut (but butch lesbians primarily buy men's clothes), keep them up by wearing boxers so the jeans ride a bit low but hang on the boxers. If they sag and start to fall down, just take one hand and pull them up from the center of the waistline in front or in back (not by the sides) without looking down at yourself or appearing the least bit concerned, that is a very butch thing to do anyway. If you wear a baggy shirt that's not tucked in, it will be hard to see how low they are anyway. Bandana or a cap and a chain, and very heavy worker boots, will complete the look.

Or if you insist on staying in the women's dept, you can also go the 80s-retro-butch route and get large size "Mom" jeans (high waist, acid washed). Pair it with a leather biker jacket, sneakers, and some hairspray or gel for spikiness to the hair, and you are good to go!

Remember that butchness is mostly in the shoes, and the swagger. Practical and confident all the way.

(These style tips brought to you by Gay Lady Stereotypes. copyright)

brynne likes this.
  9. suninthesky

I was nervous the first time I shopped in the men's section. But I'd agree with the posters above. Once you get over the initial fear, it's all right. It doesn't happen much, but if anyone looks at me funny, I stare them down. I have a just as much right to be there as they do.

10. afterthefact

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Depending on your size, you can always shop at the mens youth section. I don't exclusively wear mens clothes, but I have been buying jeans for 14 year old boys, and they feel very comfortable. And as many others have suggested - no one really cares if you are shopping for yourself or your cousin Timmy. Good luck.

11. Delta

I loved St. John's Bay, but they discontinued that brand. Fuck you, JC Penny, fuck you.

If you want to look for mens pants, without judgmental asshats, try a thrift store. That lets you try on a lot of different kinds, it's cheap, and if need be, it's easier to make an excuse on why you're buying a $5 pair of jeans than $50.

12. aconite

I had never been nervous shopping at men's sections, I've been doing that in my whole life. No one really commented, except my aunt who said "remember you're still a girl". Of course I ignored that since she didn't know anything about me :slight_smile:

I can find some cool baggy pants at the women's section too, but dunno if you'd like them, it's still girl's clothing. They are hard to come by these days...

13. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I wear skinny jeans from American Eagle and just buy them a bit big and sag them. I have super short legs and have yet to find guys jeans that really fit me well so until I do, I just buy my jeans big. I hate the small pockets of girls jeans though.

14. kc1895

Thanks for all your suggestions ladies and gents! I found a pair of "slouchy" boys jeans from the Gap.

[​IMG]

Now hopefully, I can get some game and show some swag instead of lesbians running away to find a straight man.