1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

inspiration needed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by laurac31, Jan 6, 2013.

1. laurac31

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I recently accepted the fact that I gay and I think it has my confidence etc. I have only come out to a couple close friends so far. I am 28 so I'm not young I have had my share of relationships, unfortunately only with guys, ha ha. So anyway I fell really ready to have a relationship with a womann but it doesn't seem very possible right now. I could really use some inspiration. I don't know anyone who is gay so I'm at a loss. I would love to hear some stories of people finding relationships so I don't feel like it's impossible. I a also wondering if ya'll go to get reacreational get togethers and if you know of any good ones? :kiss:

2. Aielar

First off, congratulations on the self acceptance :slight_smile: I don't have any inspirational stories, as I haven't yet been in a relationship with another girl, but I do have some, hopefully useful, advice for you.

You could try joining a local p-flag or other lgbtq group, meet some other people from the lgbtq community and see where it goes from there. There is always such things as online dating sites, and bars/clubs - if you're into meeting people in those ways. The best way to meet people who you might end up clicking with is to just put yourself out there and be the one to initiate contact with others :slight_smile:

3. laurac31

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well thank you much, I am trying, the trouble is that I am nervous and I have a lot of anxiety and it's really hard to go out by myself.

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2013 at 11:00 PM ----------

Have you gone to a pflag get together?

4. Aielar

You could, then, ask a trusted friend to go out with you...but one of the best ways (for me, anyway) to reduce anxiety about a new situation is to take some deep breaths and jump right in. If you're considering going to a pflag/other lgbtq group, then you should know that pretty much everyone who's in and has been in such groups has felt the same way you do now before going to said groups...and they got through it alright. So they would be supportive and welcoming to someone taking that first step because they've experienced those same emotions and fears.

Pflag isn't for everyone, so if it doesn't work out for you then you can always just step out and try something else, right?

No, I've never been to pflag - there's no local lgbtq group in my town for those over the age of eighteen, so I'm kind of out of luck until I move to a bigger city.

5. redstormrising

I came out at 30 and started going to PFLAG meetings pretty much right away. My family and friends were completely accepting, but it was nice to be in a roomful of people I could ask questions of and really discuss any issues or thoughts I was having. When I felt ready to date, I signed up for a couple dating websites. I'm not really into the bar scene and I look "straight" - so even when I did go to a gay bar, women didn't take me seriously when I got the courage to hit on them. I met my share of really . . . not great . . . people online, but eventually i met my current partner. we already know we will settle down together, marry, and have children. i couldn't be happier!

6. laurac31

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OOOH YEAH! Thank you both sooo much. Can I ask what dating websites u tried?

7. redstormrising

we're not allowed to give the names of dating sites here. but i can say that initially i tried using free sites and had absolutely no luck. i frequently got propositioned for threesomes (almost always a male/female couple looking for another female). of the non-threesome messages i got, most were from people who didn't even bother to string a full sentence together. i was really reluctant to try a paid dating site, but had much better luck there. i guess the folk who are willing to invest a little money in finding a partner are more serious about it.

#7 redstormrising, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. Ianthe