1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resurrecting Friendships

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sartoris, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not exactly a LGBT-related issue, but figured it would be more appropriate to post here than in the Chit-Chat section.

The other day I thought about doing something I'd vaguely considered a number of months ago, to get back in touch with a friend [specifically the girl I had a 'crush' on during high school] who I haven't seen or even spoken to for almost three years now. There wasn't any 'split,' but she was much busier than me [socially, as well as with school and work] so we just drifted apart.

Aside from being unsure whether her cellphone number is still the same [as it's the only way of contacting her I have] or if she's even still in the area, I'm a bit nervous 'cause while I don't have those feelings for her I would say I still think fondly of her and don't want to be awkward or impose on her. However, I thought it might be worthwhile since I want to rebuild my social life and perhaps begin by rekindling, if not strengthening, the closest thing I had to a good friend [in person] yet.

So, I guess I'm posting this because I wanted to know what others think. If it's a good or a bad idea, and if the former whether it would be better to send a text or call?

2. Chrissouth53

Maybe start googling her name and seeing if she is on Facebook or Liked in and start there? Then you could say "I saw you on Facebook and thought I'd..."

3. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    May try searching on FB, but we were actually friends on there for awhile but eventually [before we drifted apart] she closed her account so I'd be skeptical whether she's still there. However, I haven't heard of Liked In, what is that?

4. Given To Fly

I think he means LinkedIn - it's kind of an upmarket Facebook.

5. XxToriCrystalxX

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd think calling her would be a good idea I mean even she did change her number it's not a big deal to just say "sorry i got the wrong number" to the other person. Plus if it does happen to be the wrong number you can always try canada411 and look her up (it shows results from facebook, twitter and Linkedin)

6. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, I thought it might be but I wasn't sure. Guess I'd consider checking there, but imagine I'd only be able to do so if I had an account and, as of now, I'm not really looking to sign up on any more social networking sites.

7. XxToriCrystalxX

Out Status:
    All but family
    actually you don't need an account the site is just to find people it's not like FB or any of that and i'm sorry i said it was Canada411 but since your in the US it's just 411

8. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah, I'm not worried about a wrong number just that if it turned out not to be hers and there, hypothetically, wasn't any other way to contact her. Thanks for the tip though, I assume 411 is a website?