1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This isn't lgbt related but I could REALLY use some advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

So basically my grandma got hurt last month and she has been living here ever since and my mom and I (mostly me actually) have to do EVERYTHING for her. Now I wouldn't normally have an issue with this but my grandma is extremely rude, inconsiderate and obnoxious. She thinks that everything is about her, she involves herself in mine and my mom's business and is just extremely rude. For example, I'll be studying or trying to do laundry or cook or clean and she's calling me from the next room to do something that could wait 5 minutes (like move a pair of shoes that are not in anyone's way to begin with or to preach at me) or she will get up and stand in the middle of the kitchen when I'm trying to do things. If she knows I'm going to take a shower she all of a sudden wants to "get cleaned up" (which takes about 45 minutes) instead of waiting until I'm done (It takes me at most 20 minutes to take a shower). And she's constantly copping an attitude and barking orders at me and fighting with me and my mom. Like today, I took her out to the store because it was a nice day and she wanted something from the health food store. So I took her and bought her the expensive foods she wanted and when I got home she started screaming at me because she has no friends (because she thinks she's above everyone else) like that's somehow my fault (and I no longer have a social life because I have to be her nurse 24/7) and then went on to yell at me because I don't speak to my cousin (because she is an absolute piece of shit who likes to take money from my family and manipulate them and did horrible things to me as a child). That was how I was thanked for taking her out and buying her what she wanted (not that she ever thanks me for anything ever). Those are just some examples.

Now I am not a selfish person and I always do things for other people. The part that bothers me is that she's being extremely inconsiderate of my life and what I need to do and then cops an attitude when I tell her no or to wait for my mom (which I rarely do) and I'm extremely unappreciated by her and my mom. I mean wouldn't anyone like to be acknowledged for putting themselves out there to help someone else? And I'm not saying I want an award or something but I would like a thank you once in a while instead of being yelled at for what I didn't do and treated like I do nothing.

Also I have been sick for over a year and I finally got somewhat of a diagnosis just recently and I've had to make a lot of changes to my life to manage my condition and to become more stable so that I can function without pain and a big trigger of my condition is stress (which as you can see I live with constant stress). So yesterday I told my mom that either she lets one of her THREE sisters take my grandma for a while or I'm moving in with my father. I feel guilty for saying that because I know if I leave then my mom will be alone with my grandma but at the same time I can't keep living like this. I have to be home all the time with my grandma which means I can't go back to school or work. I don't know what to do so any advice you can give please give it. :bang:

2. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know exactly what you're going through as I don't have the extra issue of sickness to deal with, but a year and a half ago my grandma broke one of her legs and couldn't live on her own anymore while recovering. My parents decided to take her in for a while.

I know exactly what you mean with the inconsiderate and selfish behavior. Sadly, there's not a whole lot you can do about it. I just tried to ignore it and stay nice to here. She's still your grandma and she's not gonna be here forever, so cherish having here around, and try to understand she may not see things as clearly anymore as she used to. It's a common thing among older people to get a bit inconsiderate like that, just remember she may not be able to help it, and try to ignore it as much as you can.
    My grandma has since passed away, and I know I'm happy I treated her well most of the time, and I regret the times that I didn't, even though I felt she deserved it.

However, if this situation negatively affects your health or keeps you from being able to hold a job or go to school, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting out of that situation by moving in with your dad.

I do feel it's no fair to force your mom to compromise, though. I understand it's not fair to you, and I get where your reaction comes from, but it's still your mother's mom. You'd do the same for your mom, probably. Again, I know it's not fair, but it must be very difficult for your mom as well. I know it exhausted my mom, yet she didn't think twice about taking in and keeping my grandma.

I hope this didn't sound like I'm picking your mom's side. I'm not. It's a difficult situation for the both of you and probably asking a lot from both as well.

3. Tiny Catastrophe

The only reason I feel it's fair to make my mom choose is because her THREE sisters have never done a damn thing for my grandma and when my grandma was living alone my mom and I did everything and it's not only stressful for me but for my mom as well and I think it's about time one of her sisters did something. The only way to get anything through to my mom is to give her an ultimatum. She's already becoming sick with the stress and part of the reason I gave that ultimatum the way I did was so maybe she would actually call one of her sisters and do something before she ends up in the hospital.

4. redstormrising

I don't think it is at all unreasonable to expect your grandmother's three other children to pitch in with her care. Both you and your mother's health is suffering, and there is no reason why the two of you should have to bear the entire burden. Your mother is an adult; if you have to go live with your father, she will figure out a solution for herself.

5. Kirito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a person who lost both grandparents on my mother's side and who basically hate my grandparents on my father's side, I know how you feel. It can be frustrating and you wonder why you are even related to these type of people. I don't live with my bad grandparents, but I do think that if I had to, I wouldn't treat then very well.

I used to just take what rude comments got thrown at me from my father's side of the family, until I suddenly decided that I was in high school and could make decisions for myself. I ended up not going to a lot of family gatherings because of "homework", which is partially true. My grandparents realized that I was probably the only decent grandchild she had and tried to suck-up to me but I just ignored them. It hurts me even more that my father is on their side and never stands up for me.

Where I was going with this, before I became self-centered and started ranting about my own life, is tht you aren't obligated to do anything. I would say however, that as a grandchild and favor to your mom, that you should at least rotate the responsibility of taking care of her. Certainly don't live with her. I think if you are doing so much as a grandchild without much or any appreciation, then it should be shouldered onto the daughters of your grandmother, or your aunts. Make her realize that you're her grandchild and that you're valuable to her. If she doesn't want to lose you, she better shape up. Honestly I would just ignore her or do just your fair share. I don't talk to my grandparents other than salutations. I was thinking of changing last name to my mother's last name to disassociate myself from these people. Remember, you're not obligated to anyone but yourself and those who you choose to be.

#5 Kirito, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  6. Luke Matt

She sounds really rude.. I'm not sure what advice to give you, but if I were in that position I'd probably confront her about her attitude toward you & tell her that it's not acceptable. Tell her that you're trying your hardest to please her & tend to her needs & that her actions aren't really helping the situation.

7. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get that. Do you know if her sisters would be willing to help out? Because if they're not willing to do anything, then yes that's really unfair to your mom, but it's still no reason for your mom to stop taking care of her own mother.

If your mom hasn't even tried calling them or contacted them in any way about it, though, then yes if I were you I would at least bring it up.