1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I convince her?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MeganLS, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeganLS

From what I can tell this is a forum for men, but it's the only online support group I can find and I really need some advise. Ok, so here's my story.

Ok, well my best friend came to me the other night and asked me how I felt about homosexuality- I told her that I support gay rights and I have no problem with it- for about 20 minutes she drilled me with questions about religion and society and my personal opinions relating to homosexuality and then very suddenly she just said she had to go and that was that. Well, I had the suspicion that maybe she was having feelings for another girl but I didn't persue it any more that night. We talk again the next day and she says she's sorry for asking so many questions and I told her it was ok and everything and I don't remember what exactly I said but she replied with "Please ask... Do you think that anything is going on with me?" So, I asked since she was obviously struggling to let me know some how... And after batting questions back and forth I asked her to just be straight forward and tell me what's going on. And she did, she told me that she and this girl we're friends with had kissed and how they both felt something and that now they're trying to make a relationship... That's not the problem, I'm happy for them if they make each other happy. The problem is that now she's acting weird to me. I've told her and showed her as much as I know how to let her know that I support her but she's still kind of shying away from talking to me and being really quiet when we do talk. We're going to Gatlinburg, TN in a week and I think she's worried that I'm going to be weird while we're there. But I'm not, I mean I love her and support her she's my best friend, but I don't know how to make her feel comfortable with me. You might think it'd be the opposite, but I don't know... I don't want her to feel ashamed around me or embarassed or anything. Do you all have any advice about how to make her feel ok about herself and comfortable with me?

2. Stew

Hi Megan, first up I would like to say welcome to the forum :smilewave

From my understanding of your post (please correct me if I am wrong) you are straight and your best female friend has come out to you and is trying a relationship with a mutual friend. It sounds to me as if you have done everything you can to convince her that you are happy for her and will support her and that you care for her. I get the feeling that you may be worrying to much. I would suggest that you just reasure her one last time that you are happy for her and that she can always talk to you if she ever wants to. As for worying about going away, I would say just make sure that you do have fun and prove that it does not matter by not bringing up the subject yourself. Just be like you were before she told you and show her that it changes nothing.
    I am sorry that I have no great ideas on this, but hope it might help in some way.

Stew

3. MeganLS

Hi Stew, thanks for writing back. You're correct, we're both female and I'm straight- we met the mutual friend over the summer on a trip... You're probably right, I'm probably just worrying for no reason- she may just be getting used to the fact that now someone else knows. I just hope she can be happy with this new relationship and not worry about other people. Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate your help (and it WAS helpful :icon_lol: )

Megan

4. Matt

Matt Guest

Hey Megan! I'd like to know how everything went! Hopefully everything worked out...I can tell you're being a great friend to her. Keep us updated!

5. MeganLS

Hey Matt and everyone else,
    Things went great with the trip (well she was a little butthead one day, but not because of this) and we had a great time. We were there for three days and on the 2nd day it snowed 6 inches! It was great for snowball fights (there were about 20 people there total so it was a big fight). Anyway, Brittany (Amy's girlfriend) came up a couple of days after Christmas and stayed for about 5 days- unfortunately I was out of state so I didn't get to hang out with her but they had fun and everything. Amy really hasn't said a whole lot about things between them lately but I'm assuming it's because things are good with them and she knows that everything is Ok between us so she doesn't feel like we need to talk about it, you know what I mean? So yeah, everything is good with everyone- she's helping me move this weekend so yay! Thanks for asking! :slight_smile:

6. goratrix

I'm glad everything worked fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.