1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering buddhism

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheLovelyAudrey, Jan 7, 2013.

1. I have read information about the nature and meaning of this religion and I have considered Buddhism but with that being said I already know I don't agree with everything in the religion.

What would be a good move for me next to study/ learn about this?

2. Iceman110295

i think its good to look up different religion you should also look up youth churches too. last week i went to a youth church and i meet other gay kids that are my age

3. Hexagon

There are some free ebooks on buddhism you can download if you want, or you could join a local group.

If you feel like reading my own experience with buddhism, go ahead. Obviously, my experience isn't neutral, but I'm not trying to convince you of anything.
    I was interested in buddhism a few months ago. Like you, I felt I didn't agree with everything, and in my case, I eventually decided it wasn't for me. I don't agree with the supernatural aspects of it (reincarnation, souls, and karma), and I simply can't be part of a religion that teaches things I don't believe in, no matter how great the message is.

4. Part of me thinks that this might not be for me however I still want to aleast give it a shot.

5. GabrielTai

First thing, the idea that buddhism is a religion is typically false. There are a few groups who treat it as one, such as the Tibetans, but the buddhism that most people are familiar with (called chan or zen) is not a religion, but a collection of philosophies and messages for a more peaceful lifestyle.

That being said, if you wish to learn more about buddhism, I reccomend finding a copy of the Dhammapada and giving it a read. It is widely regarded as a staple of both the buddhist philosophies and the tibetan religion.

6. I may give it a check out.