1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wanting to cut agin

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MerBear, Jan 7, 2013.

1. MerBear

I've been down in the past week and a half and now im finding myself having the urge to cut again , the last time i cut was in July...and now my scars have healed but since i've been sort of depressed , im wanting to cut again....i want to feel something...i kind of i feel numb and for the past 2 days...i just have had that urge but i know i can't because of my dad , he'll get me a therapist and i really do not want that. i hate therapists (no offense)

so what should i do to prevent it?
    im trying to distract myself but its not doing it...
    could i just scratch my wrist? just something.....

2. Catkin

Hi Flyalone. First (*hug*)

If you feel down, and particularly if you feel like cutting, make sure that you are around other people. They are good distraction, and its easier to work yourself up when you are alone. Take extra care of yourself for a wee bit; do something relaxing, that you normally enjoy - like take a bath, or hug your cat (if you have one), listen to music etc. If you want to get your feelings out, try angry drawings. (Even if they look like manical toddler scribbles like mine did, getting things out on paper can help). Exercise really helps - great distraction, gets you away from the house and makes you feel better. I can especially recommend swimming.

Scratching your wrist will only make it harder to avoid the temptation to cut. You have managed around half a year without cutting, which is great, keep going.

3. MerBear

i'll try my very best. im reading right now but my body is aching to feel something.....but i'll take a bath after im done reading , thank you for the advice

4. Giant Midget

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi hun. First off, just know you are loved by many (friends/family). Tell someone who can make your situation better, not worse. For instance, it's probably not a good idea to confide in a fellow cutter -you might find yourselves discussing methods and incidents, instead of focusing on recovery. Rather, choose a person you trust and respect, who seems capable of helping you improve. Ask this person if you can talk to him or her when you feel like harming. Having someone to confide in when you feel bad can distract you from cutting, and ultimately speed your recovery. The request doesn't have to be elaborate - something as simple as "Would it be OK for me to call you when I feel like hurting myself, so maybe we can talk about it instead and I'll be distracted?" will suffice. Chances are this person will be more than happy to support you in this way. Identify the triggers that make you feel like cutting. The moment you have the urge to harm yourself, stop and think of what has just occurred. Remember it and try to avoid these situations. For example, if you've just had an argument with somebody close to you, and are having the urge to self-harm, stop and ask yourself what's making you feel this way: "I feel like harming myself because I've just had an argument with somebody I love, and it's making me feel really bad." Determine what in particular makes this situation trigger off negative emotions: a certain feeling, or maybe an action? Work on reducing this issue until you have it under control or completely diminished.

5. MerBear

well if i cut and my dad finds out , he will just say im trying to blackmail him

i just am depressed and miss someone...i cared about very much and im reading this fucking book
    "down to the bone" and its just reminding me of her and its pissing me off....
    and reading that book gives me an idea...

i want to feel something...i've been sad and weak and now numb for days ,and right now i just something against my wrist to release all the pressure, i've been holding.

6. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you're hurting :frowning2: In emergency situations, I find holding onto ice cubes, running while listening to loud music, or taking hot/cold showers help.

Maybe you'd like to vent on here about the details of what is bothering you?

7. MerBear

its just my ex girlfriend....i could show you my blog if you'd like

#7 MerBear, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  8. redstormrising

if the book is upsetting you, stop reading it, unless it's for a school assignment and you HAVE to read it. have you tried writing out your feelings in a journal? or perhaps write a letter to her expressing how you feel, and then bury it or burn it as a symbolic way to let her go

9. MerBear

the book reminds me so much of her...and i've been trying so hard to forget about her and all i do is cry over her and think about her...i miss her...and it took me a while to admit it to myself....i thought ...i was so optimistic about forgetting her and moving on and now i just feel like shit..

10. animequeen567

It would be best not to scratch your arms or cut for that matter. What I do to get my mind off of that is to listen to music that sounds the way I feel or talk on the phone with my friends or skype.

11. MerBear

god , if i respond , it'll sound like im making up excuses now

12. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Hopefully you're feeling better today :slight_smile:

Sometimes I take a red pen and draw lines on my body where I used to cut. It seems stupid, but it actually made me feel better. If the urge doesn't go away I usually try to write down my feelings and figure out why I want to cut. When I broke up with my girlfriend in April I literally would have to sit on my hands for hours so I wouldn't cut. That lasted off and on for 3 months.

13. MerBear

thank you. i'll do that and see if it helps