1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Having Stalker Problems

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Adarya, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Adarya

I've had this friend since second grade and I always used to hang out with her, because I considered her one my only friends in grade school. Now, in middle school and going into high school I've noticed that we don't exactly have the best friendship and I've been beginning to get closer to other people and expand my group of friends. The only problem is that my "grade school friend" is getting really controlling, rude, and downright annoying. As of now I'm sort of considering her as a stalker, considering she's followed me to the restroom before, she constantly wants to know what I'm doing and where I am, and when I am sort of forced into a conversation with her she won't let me end the conversation or exit the situation, and when I try to she follows me. I've had to get her number blocked on my phone and she even tries to control who my friends are and what I do. When I do something that she doesn't approve of- AKA talking or being friends with a person she doesn't like, taking classes or extracurriculars that she doesn't like, or just doing everyday things that she doesn't approve of- she then becomes rude and begins insulting me and my friends, right in front of me. She's also joined some of my extracurriculars and the groups that I'm in- that I know that she doesn't like or care for- just because she wants to be closer to me and with me more. It's come to the point where I'm uncomfortable every time I have a class with her because she is constantly staring at me, approaching me, and following me.

I still acknowledge that we used to be friends, so I don't want to hurt her feelings or ignore her, even though I've sometimes tried. But is there any ways that I can get her to stop being so intense and following me all the time, without actually hurting her feelings or yelling at her? How do you deal with a stalker in general? I need some help here :icon_sad:

2. TKM

TKM

I had a "friend" that sounds a lot like yours. One thing I wouldn't do is shun her or be disrespectful because that's rude and if it were you would you want someone making fun of you? Also, it sounds like this girl might be having a hard time adjusting to middle/higschool and is just trying to find a friend, but now that it has gotten to the point where you are clearly sending her signals to stop talking to you, and she doesn't, instead of suggesting your done with the conversation tell her you have to do something/go somewhere, she'll probably stop trying to go ahead with the conversation. In addition, maybe tell her you really like this group of people and you want her to meet them, invite her to things and if she doesn't like them (which it seems like she doesn't) she probably will stop coming to things or hanging out with you while you are with them. If she insults you or your friends again honestly I wouldnt care about hurting her feelings, tell it to her straight"stop saying... It's rude... I'm friends with these people... Of you don't like it leave." hopefully she will get the message. And don't just assume she joined the clubs to be with you, you guys used to be friends, you probably have the same interests. But if it gets to the point where you are extremely uncomfortable in class, talk to a councler or teacher because it's distracting you from your work. Also, if you are in class and she tracks to you or asks you a question respond with idk ask...(give her to someone else :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) hahah I hope it doesn't become any more serious than the following and wanting to be around you but if it does tell a teacher :slight_smile: good luck

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2013 at 03:08 PM ----------

If not of, talks not tracks

3. Adarya

Well, my point is that she's not just following me or wanting to be around me because she's looking for friends or is having trouble with middle school life; we're eighth graders now and we've been doing this for almost three years and on top of that both of us have made new friends. What is really getting to me is that she doesn't give me any space and she acts as if she's the only one that can be my friend. She has to know practically everything about me too, even the trivial things like when I'm going to the bathroom, why I was late for lunch, who am I talking to, what all my classes are, what my extracurriculars are, what I'm doing everyday, what I'm eating, what I'm planning on doing in the future, what plans I have, how my relationship with my family is, why I've been going to the counselors, etc., and it goes on and on. Some of those things she doesn't even have a right to know about because it's absolutely personal, but when I don't tell her something or I go somewhere without her permission is seems like she gets incredibly angry with me because I didn't listen to her or something. I try to politely tell her that she doesn't have control over everything I do in my life and some things are just personal and I don't feel comfortable talking to her about, but that seems to get her even madder. She's never raised a finger to me or been violent and I'm not afraid of her, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she one day hit me after one of her "days" where she's more controlling than normal. Let's just say the thought has arisen more than once.

As for when I am forced into conversations with her I am normally able to talk to her nicely for a while, but when I try to exclude myself from the conversation (either when I'm getting more uncomfortable or when I actually have to get somewhere) she won't let me go. I even tell her that I need to be somewhere and she still just keeps talking to me and questioning me and I don't want to feel rude myself so I keep going with the conversation. When I use the excuse "I have to go to the bathroom" it hardly works anymore, because she follows me into the restroom (which I have to admit is very weird for me). In the end conversations with her are turning very uncomfortable for me because of the above reasons and also because she just asks me so many questions. All of our conversations besides the occasional "Hi" is me answering her questions and then her criticizing me or my friends and then getting very rude with her reactions. It annoys me, doesn't really make me feel good, and then it seems like the conversation just won't end. I try to be nice to her and invite her to things, but most of my friends don't like her, so I walk around and talk to her or hang out with her every so often so she doesn't feel bad, but then the next day she just comes at me harder, with the following and the staring and the uncomfortable conversations. And when I do say that she is being rude or that something is getting sort of weird for me she normally doesn't listen and continues on doing what she was doing. One time I was able to get her to back off when I was talking to some of my archery friends (a sport which she has said in the past that she dislikes a lot), but afterwards it was like she threw a fit because I "ignored" her. I treat her like I would want to be treated- with respect and niceness- but sometimes it feels like I'm about to explode at her, when I really don't want to.

4. redstormrising

Wow. I'm so sorry that is happening to you! I would probably just cut off contact with her, personally. She doesn't respect you at all and is incredibly controlling. But if you don't want to - and I can understand that since she was your friend - I think it's time to be more firm with her. If you need to end a conversation, tell her once that you need to go now. Give her an opportunity to say goodbye. If she tries to continue the conversation as if you'd never said you need to go, tell her that you have already said you need to go and now you are going to do just that. And then really just leave. She keeps doing it because she knows she can make you stay. If she continues to belittle her friends, tell her that those remarks will not end your friendship with them, but it will end your friendship with her. I know you want to be nice, but she is being incredibly not-nice to you and you shouldn't have to tolerate it.

5. TKM

TKM

Because she is going too far with this, I would definitely cut off ties with her. And really, if she's throwing hissy fits because you ignore her, let her, don't feed into it. I don't want you to be mean to her or anything, but she's being terrible to you, so if it were me I'd give it all right back to her,:tantrum: (I am not responsible for the advice given hahaha) but really I'm getting mad at your "friend" after just reading this.