1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating Websites

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rexmond, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Rexmond

The second I turn 18 I'm signing straight up to dating sites, where I hope to meet my soul mate. Being underaged, I've never singed up to a dating site. I would just like some advice, tips or pointers for when I do this.

Will I really be able to find my soul mate on a website? Are these safe, and has anyone joined gay dating sites, specifically these 2? ^^

2. Luke Matt

I haven't necessarily used dating sites, but I have used an app before (which I won't name) and ended up meeting a really nice, genuine guy from it (we're friends, though).

I think there are better alternatives to gay dating websites though. For example, I'm a member of a gay youth group in my area & they occasionally have events (e.g. pool parties, movie nights) where you can meet other gay people who're around the same age. I personally think something like that is heaps better because you're in a safe community with similarly aged people, and the chances of you meeting someone genuine is probably a lot higher.

3. Rexmond

That is a great idea, however I am attracted to much older men, way beyond my age, so I don't think these particular events would work in my case. How would I know who I can trust on a dating website?

It would be nice if there could be some Intergenerational events in the UK, but I don't think it's a big enough or well known occurrence to be considered.

4. pandas

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My advice is to be cautious with the information you give anyone because it's hard to be absolutely certain if that person is trustworthy. Use your very best judgement!

Also be prepared to awkwardly see someone you saw on the site on the bus or at a store or around town. More than once I've seen someone and thought, "Hmm I recognize them". I saw someone on the bus one day (which was thoroughly uncomfortable because he had previously been talking to me about his foot fetish and also lamenting his lack of friends last time we talked). I also saw a girl at the plasma center that I recognized from the site and later ended up working with her. Go figure.

Also be prepared to run into people that you know in real life on the internet. I was listed as "bi" before I was out and I saw a couple profiles that belonged to people I actually knew and it really freaked me out.

I'll post more if anything comes to mind...

5. Rexmond

Thanks for the advice. I had to laugh at the man with the foot fetish! :grin:

Id be happy with just making friends too.