1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to tell parents im a gay man nt a straight girl

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mothcaterpillar, Jan 8, 2013.

1. mothcaterpillar

Hi I dont talk to my parents much (mainly what's on tv) except when I get a good essay result back but I think im ready to be who I am and not what it genetics say I am
    I have never been happy with my body or my self + I've seriously considered suicide from being about 6 years old (dont worry Ill literally never have the balls to do it)
    I'm scared to come out because my mum used to say she would kick my brother out if he turned out to be gay (towards men) and I have considered myself as gay from like 10 years old or whenever I leant the word but a few weeks ago my mum and mama discussed having a lesbian daughter and said that they would not treat them different to straight offspring
    Also I read that T.treatment involves a lot of blood tests and im terrified of needles

I am not accustomed to talking about how I feel and have been called emotionless before so it will be hard to talk about it
    I have tried to live as sort of male dressing in male clothes n having sort of emo hair that'S about chin length but my voice is high pitched and child like plus Im 5ft1 n not getting any taller
    I am disgusted at the thought of having a womb but im about 5 stone 5 n trying to lose weight to keep away monthly issues which makes me feel alienated from the world
    Please help if you can
    Leonardo Austin (possible name better than Katy Louise right?)

2. mothcaterpillar

I know this looks attention seekerish (especially for a 1st post) but its nothing but the truth
    I dont want to live in this body but im scared because of the above and im in 6 form for the next 2 years and I want my full driving licence before I change my name but hearing my parents use female pronouns n stuff feels offensive

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2013 at 12:49 AM ----------

I know this looks attention seekerish (especially for a 1st post) but its nothing but the truth
    I dont want to live in this body but im scared because of the above and im in 6 form for the next 2 years and I want my full driving licence before I change my name but hearing my parents use female pronouns n stuff feels offensive

3. Hexagon

Nah, it doesn't look attention seekerish. I'm trans too. It's a legitimate issue.

Basically, from what I can see, these questions are what you need to consider:
    Are you sure of your gender identity?
    Are you prepared to transition?
    Are you prepared to deal with your family's reactions?

Only you can decide what your gender identity is, and from what you've written, you seem pretty sure. Anyway, I'll leave that bit to you.

So, transitioning.

Basically, transitioning involves changing your name, appearance and behaviour in public, and requiring that others use male pronouns. It is also often accompanied by modification of your legal documents, taking hormones, and/or gender reassignment surgery, though it is important to note that they aren't necessary, and you should never feel pressured into them.

Your family: If you decide to transition, you will inevitably have to come out to your family and friends. If all goes well, they'll accept you as a guy, and everything will work out fine. But its not always so simple. Some transpeople are forced to sever contact with their family if, after several years, they still don't treat their trans children properly. You have to decide whether you are willing to take that risk.

Hormone stuff, regarding needles:
    Taking T isn't a requirement, and many people, though not all, can pass without it. However, it certainly makes life easier. As a bare minimum, to take T, you will have to have a blood test to detect any underlying medical conditions that could cause complications. Assuming it is safe to take it, you will then have to take blood tests every six months, and eventually once a year, to make sure it isn't harming you. On top of that, there are different forms of T, some injectible, and others are taken differently. The T I take is a gel I rub into my shoulders. Do you think you can handle a blood test every six months or so? There may be ways you can tolerate the occasional needle.

You expressed concern regarding your height and voice. There are plenty of guys who aren't tall, so I wouldn't worry about that. If you feel able to go on testosterone, your voice will break, but even if you don't, you can train your voice to be lower, to some extend. I am correct in assuming that you are capable of speaking at pitches lower than your current 'natural' pitch? Focus on speaking lower, and eventually you won't have to think about it any more. This won't make your range any lower, so the technique does have limits.

I have no idea what 5 stone 5 is... but if you're trying to reduce your weight to a point where you no longer have to deal with monthly stuff, I would really caution against it. That is technically an eating disorder, and can lead to some nasty health consequences. Taking T will stop it happening anyway, and before then, I think going on this pill can stop them. (I may be wrong about this, I never had to deal with that little piece of hell)

Can I ask what country you live in? If you live in the UK, I may be able to help you access treatment, but if its the US there will be others who know WAY more than me.

4. mothcaterpillar

Yeah im in/ from England
    5 stone is about 32 kg
    I havnt had my 15 year old jab or that female cancer 1 and I havnt been to the doctors in 2 years
    Also I think my parents are being nice to me at the moment or I wouldnt bothe to them r talking because my dog died (they had to put him to sleep)
    in July n I think they realize that I cant forgive them for it even though I know they had to because his heart valves were not working
    My mum wanted me to go on the pill to make the months stuff come when I was 14 but I didnt want to because I didnt want to have them
    Thanks
    Ps the keybord on my phone is being weird so sorry for whu mistakes

5. mothcaterpillar

Also my parents are both a bit homophobic like I showed them a picture if 2 men kissing (it was the 2 guys wedding n 1 of them is the lead singer of my parents' favourite band) they both went eww n kind of cringed they do it when they see it on tv too. How are they going to cope with the only daughter becoming male n gay as a man

6. Deaf Not Blind

hi! I am pretty sure i am trans too. My mom seems to not want to lose me and acts as if she's known I'm not straight...she knew abt transgender and is starting to bring up stuff abt homosexual men. :slight_smile: I thought she would be upset...I am sorry if yours turn mean on you, but I thought mom would how in past she spoke was not kind like this. Maybe when you find your kid is not straight as you hoped, you find more positive ways to cope? 2 strange men kissing will mean nothing to them...you mean the world to them, keep fingers crossed and don't give up hope yet.

i think not going on the pill was super wise. i never did. i think moms do that for several reasons all flawed.

You know there is another transguy who is gay and i recall is from UK on here! I think it is Ashton? You abt same age too. Look him up! Really funny person.

7. Larissa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

I'm pretty much in the same position as you, just from the other end, I've somehow got to tell my Mum she's not got a son and daughter but two daughters and one of them is lesbian. I am so unsure how to come out to my parents, the problem is, soon I won't have a choice any more, since I will start HRT on 15th January and well, once my body begins to change it won't be easy to hide. I just don't want to loose the contact to them ....

8. Deaf Not Blind

Best wishes to you in Ireland!

9. mothcaterpillar

Hi ill try to look him up
    I find it hard to see why someone could be mtf when you already have the perfect body but thanks for your suport and I hope you are able to tell your parents n good luck with the treatment hopefully ill be brave enough to have t treatment soon
    I have non related good news I got 2 almost A grade as mock results n ive stated looking at universities maybe I can tell them in 2014 so I can leave them for a term

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2013 at 09:18 PM ----------

Hi ill try to look him up
    I find it hard to see why someone could be mtf when you already have the perfect body but thanks for your suport and I hope you are able to tell your parents n good luck with the treatment hopefully ill be brave enough to have t treatment soon
    I have non related good news I got 2 almost A grade as mock results n ive stated looking at universities maybe I can tell them in 2014 so I can leave them for a term but im not sure I can.wait that,long
    Dont you have to be out for a year before you.can start treatment?

10. Hexagon

Well as for treatment, no, you don't have to be out for a year. I was, but only because of REALLY STUPID DOCTORS. In my opinion, thats a ridiculous requirement. Yes, you have to be sure, but thats where self reflection comes in, not being out and trying to pass without T.

You have two possible routes when it comes to treatment, NHS and private.

I was under 18 when I started transitioning, so I went private. It wasn't as expensive as you might expect, but not something I could have done without my parent's support. The first two sessions required to get the hormones cost £250 and £175, I think, and I would have had to pay for hormones, except that the doctor wrote a letter to my GP asking her to prescribe them. So, free. I can give you more details if required, but as I doubt you'll be able to do this without coming out to your parents, I'll move onto the NHS route.

Go to your GP and get referred to a gender clinic. You may be required to see a therapist beforehand, or that might be provided by the clinic itself. You will either be referred to a gender clinic in your area, or to one in London, most likely Charing Cross. You will undoubtedly have to wait longer than in the private clinics, but I don't think it will take a year (the year thing is related to surgery, I think).

I understand the issues about waiting, and your situation looks pretty difficult to resolve. Gaining a greater understanding of LGBT issues through having a transgender son might open their minds, but then again it might not. It you go off to university telling them, that will protect you from their reactions, but it won't make living at university any easier. So, I have a suggestion. Begin going through the NHS system, and if the opportunity to take hormones arises, take them. You will be able to continue living as a girl, even on hormones, for a fairly long time if necessary.

11. mothcaterpillar

Thanks for the clarification I wish I could handle te blood tests if I could id march down to the doctors on Friday after my sociology exam ill have to pay for prescriptions I think being an adult
    I dont know where id start to look for private and London is about 4 hours away from me so surely theres 1 more north
    I wish I could talk to people face to face rather than telling everything to strangers I couldn't live without the internet n so glad I found this website

12. Hexagon

You're still in full time education, aren't you? I don't think you'll have to pay prescription charges. In any case, they're only about 12 pounds, aren't they?

There is probably something further north, but unfortunately I don't know about it. Your GP will be able to refer you. Don't forget, your GP will have to keep anything you tell them confidential, even if they also treat your parents. As for private, this is the website of the clinic I go to:

Gender Reassignment | Gender Dysphoria | Sex Change Clinic | Transexual Health Care

(Really hope this is allowed, I don't want to get banned for it)

In regards to blood testing, I don't really know how to help. You won't have to get one straight away, though, and obviously when the time comes it will be your choice. I also doubt your the only person who has issues with needles, so they might be able to help you in ways that I can't. If it helps, I've had loads of blood tests before, and it honestly doesn't hurt much.

Good luck on your exam btw.

Also, you mentioned wanting to talk with people face to face. There may be LGBT groups or trans groups in your area which you could join if you wanted. And of course we're here whenever you need us as well.

#12 Hexagon, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  13. mothcaterpillar

Im much happier talking online I talk.so little that Im practically developing spay impediments even in regular conversation where it cant be put down.to nervousness
    I dont want my 6 form friends to fall out with me they are all 16 n just come out of school so I dont know them.very well n ive got 2 years left
    I hope your not banned either you've been.really helpful
    Thanks for the link.and possibly sacrificing your account
    Better get revising for tomorrow

14. Hexagon

Its up to you, but in my opinion, friends who will reject you when they find out who you really are aren't people I'd want around. That isn't to say you shouldn't inform them properly and break the news gently, if you decide to come out to them, but it is nice to be around people with some level of decency.

How did the exam go? If you've taken it already.

15. mothcaterpillar

Hi I think the exam went well but I have to wait till march to know the results
    They.seem nice n they must accept homosexuality because someone who sits with us is gay and they dont act any.different towards him
    Im learning to be open n to communicate with people I just met ive just got to man up and get the ball rolling (i seem to like making ball references :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: i.see.why dogs are so obsessed once theirs are gone)
    I did manage a very subtle hint to my parents I have a female dog now n dad said daughter tell mum n I repeated it to my dog suggesting she is their daughter not me
    Obviously that is no where near telling them but its a little tiny baby step

16. mothcaterpillar

N and lady and I said no to all n he said you.cant be.a boy cos boys have little dangly parts and girls dont then he said you dont have.dangly bits n I said I dont know he then said are you trying to tell us something n he wouldnt mind if I did have something to tell
    I.then.chickened out n went silent n I went a bit feminist when he said woman cos in English.we are.learning about gender and it means of man

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2013 at 06:40 PM ----------

I nearly told my parents today my dad.called me a girl n I said Im not then.he said woman and lady and I said no to all n he said you.cant be.a boy cos boys have little dangly parts and girls dont then he said you dont have.dangly bits n I said I dont know he then said are you trying to tell us something n he wouldnt mind if I did have something to tell
    I.then.chickened out n went silent n I went a bit feminist when he said woman cos in English.we are.learning about gender and it means of man
    I cant remember.exact words but this was about it

17. first off youre 5ft 1 and 5stone 5. if that is not due to a fast metabolism and is down to you not eating to get your periods to stop then thats not right. you dont need to lose weight at all, you will more than likely die if you try. youre only an inch taller than me and i was above your current weight when i was anorexic and i was dying. your health should come first.

you can go to the drs and get the pill or something to get your periods to stop if you explain what is happening e.t.c. going to the dr can help you with lots of things though. drs can reffer you to other people who can help start with your transitioning (if you want to that is and its okay if you dont want to aswell)

if your parents dont accept you, you will always have us here and your dr can be a good source for support groups e.t.c in your area they dont just deal with 'oh i have a cold' lol. they are quite helpful :slight_smile:

perhaps talk to your parents subtly about if your friend was gay how would they feel about that person coming over for dinner or something.
    your dog reference was a big step not a little one! congratulate yourself leo.... nice name too! :slight_smile:

18. mothcaterpillar

I chose leonardo Austin because it means strong as a lion magnificent but Im not sure a grand name like that suits me stupid polar ego Katy Louise means pure fame and war but a name change is vitally important
    I usually only want to lose weight during the 3 days but the rest of the time I dont eat much out of the 3 meals a day
    Thanks for all your support
    Ill just have to tell them one day n ill keep revising the name until Im happy which will.take forever since I spend hours naming characters when I write stories

19. mothcaterpillar

Hi I'm feeling pretty happy today my mum bought me a t shirt and my small chest (second reason for keeping the weight off) cant be seen :grin: I've been thinking about talking to the counciler person at 6 form but i don't know if she will know anything about transgender because she's proberbly more about exam stress

20. mothcaterpillar

nothing to update at the moment (this is to see if i've done my signiture right)