1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do at an LGBT group?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JasmineFirebird, Jan 8, 2013.

1. I'm actually gonna go to a support group next week and I have no idea what to do because I have never been to one. I'm nervous of being around a lot of people and I'm not really sure how to act.

2. PeteNJ

GREAT !! Glad you're going.

I went the first time last week. A gay men's coming out group. About 10 men and a moderator/leader. About 4 guys who'd been married and did/are working on coming out. And a bunch of younger guys (think college aged, maybe recent grads), some closeted, some not. We all went around, introduced ourselves by first name, said a couple words about how we felt and what we'd like to discuss. Then the group picked a topic -- and there was a great discussion! I was welcomed, I got lots of advice. I felt a part of them.

I went the 2nd time last night, in a different part of the state. There were about 16-17 people, both men and women, and a moderator. This group was distinctly older. Somewhat similar in format, we all went around the room. Then had time for a discussion. Great people, warmly open to having me there. A very different vibe.

I'm planning on going back to the first group tomorrow night -- I'll post an update.

If you look at my age, I'm not a young person like many of you here. At both centers there are also youth oriented events -- well, I may be young at heart [;-) ], but clearly those are not for me.

I am certain that every group is different -- with its own character and vitality. You may go to one you like, another you don't. No problem.

Absolutely no one was/is forced to say anything or participate. A couple people, when we went around the room, simply said "pass" or "not tonight" -- again a fine response.

You will be fine there -- and I'm sure not the only first timer.

3. Deaf Not Blind

at college they usually talk to friends they know, and then the club president will talk about the upcoming agendas and stuff. there may be a time peeps can talk about the 1st time they came out if they want. nobody feels pressure at one to do stuff usually. it is just a club which focus is Queer not Politics, not religion, not sports, not drama, not dance team. Thats it.

I may have chosen wrong days to go, but both colleges I went to one, I was bored. Not all the Queers in a school attend them, they have other clubs they are in. I felt really straight at them, but that may just be me as I feel often like a straight male.

4. Oh okay. I'm a little nervous about going to one. Thanks for a general idea of what goes on lol

5. Suffocation

The first thought that popped in my head, was indeed a dirty thought.

>.<