1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google translate homophobia and insults

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by elietto92, Jan 9, 2013.

1. elietto92

elietto92 Guest

Hey guys

Just randomly translating "homosexual" on google translate, surprise surpise, I find homophobic insults towards whom? Homosexuals! Of course lets hate the homosexuals!
    Check it out for yourself!!

This has to be removed, surely google who is pro lgbt know about this as they must approve them first before publisihing?

Is there anything we can do? Perhaps petitioning at google translate? Or something? These are really insulting and hurtful...

This is what it says in greek translation for nouns

noun

ομοφυλόφιλος gay, homosexual, homo, queer, fagot, fag
    αρσενοκοίτης queer, homo, fagot, pansy, poof, sodomite
    πούστης fag, fagot, pansy, gay, poof, homo

As well as other languages as a "pedaryst" and "bugger"

The only one that makes me laugh is "sodomite" and pansy lol. I aint no rapist!

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Sodomite is generally one of the most offensive words towards gay people I think, as the word implies a huge amount of judgement. As well as the fact that it insists upon itself, that people who engage in sodomy deserve a group to identify them to expose them to ridicule, that somehow 'sodomites' don't fit in with the rest of society.

As for the words, honestly, I wouldn't bother about it. That word probably can mean all of the words mentioned, other languages can be confusing that way, but it's the way it is.

The only example of this that I know about, is in the French language, but it's rude so I won't share it. Needless to say the phrase can actually mean about 5 different things.

All the best.

#2 Zaio, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  3. elietto92

elietto92 Guest

Thanks for the reply

My only concern is why these words are related to homosexuality? Pansy and queer are insulting to most gay men and women. When i typed in "heterosexual" there were no insults at all! I wonder if i can go in there and wrote "breeder" and "earth destroyer" or something, surely they wont like that

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an internet translator listing off synonyms of words you're translating.
    That's what it's supposed to do.

5. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Simply because the word you're translating can mean that in the language. For example the French word "putain" can mean the B, W and F words, even though they are all pretty different and do not mean the same thing in the slightest. Different languages have different rules.

Simply because heterosexual doesn't mean anything bad in the language. You don't actually believe heterosexuals are earth destroyers though, right? Without heterosexuals we wouldn't be alive today, and without homosexuals the world would be (even more) severely overpopulated at the minute.

All the best.

6. Fiddledeedee

As Ethan said, it's just listing synonyms in English, which is a good thing for it to do, as it lets you choose a word with the actual meaning you want. "Gay" isn't always a nice word even in English -- it can mean lame, bad, broken, effeminate (negatively), boring, slow, luckless, or promiscuous (negatively) -- so it makes sense that things in other languages relating to homosexuality may have insulting connotations, which Google translates. There's no homophobia in the program itself.

7. Akatosh

Lets find something to get mad about? No thanks.

8. elietto92

elietto92 Guest

Yeah I know what you mean, but really? pansy? poof? sodomite? Thats really unnecessary :/

Im sure blacks wouldn't like being called nigger or muslims being called terrorists? Same thing applies to homosexuals.

9. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say being insulted by that is being a little over-sensitive. Yes, those are insulting words. Yes, there usually aren't much or any insults specific to being heterosexual (but that's simply because the whole point of an insult is to make someone feel bad; attacking their heterosexuality isn't really a particularly insulting thing for most heterosexuals :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). But nevertheless, they are words. They are in the dictionary. There's no point in censoring them, since people will still say them. And what if I actually do want to translate something that has a homophobic insult in it, like a story? It would just be silly to block them.

10. Jim

Jim

Well that's rude. Mental note not to go to Greece..

11. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's giving you translations of words as well as slang for the terms you are searching. It's not calling people the words, it's presenting them as information in response to the prompt you gave it.
    Many words for gay people in other languages are vulgar or have negative connotations hence the profane translations provided.

12. Harve

I have nothing more to add, but what a ridiculous thread.