1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go to this lgbtq empowerment group?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Asari, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know you want to jump in and say "yes you should go." but here are my concerns about going:
    1. I am only out to a few people
    2. I don't know what my label is yet
    3. I am screening for this group in an hour and the actual group begins next week.

In other words it is all a little too fast for me. I want to go because i want to make friends that support me so that I can have support when I come out. But I think most people in this group are already out. I'm worried I will feel uncomfortable and that they will pressure me to come out quickly before I'm ready and that I should choose a label. I don't know if this group is "questioning" friendly.

Should I just wait a few months for the second session? I'm too scared to come out to entire group of people. Only six people know I'm gay.

2. ForceAndVerve

You can either wait, or go and let them know that you are QUESTIONING ONLY at this point and are just there to perhaps meet some like minded people/get an insight into what they etc. I don't see why they would have any issues with that.

Ultimately, just do what your comfortable with. Don't force yourself if you don't want to.

:slight_smile:

3. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chickened out. :frowning2:

4. Akatosh

This sounds like a campus group. I went in for screening and I asked a lot of questions, and it wasn't something that applied to me. Mainly because everyone there was already out, and they mainly discussed relationship issues. You should go to the screening, and if it feels like something you'd benefit from, then absolutely go. I was so nervous during the screening.. I turned red, my heart was racing, and I sounded like a moron.

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2013 at 06:36 PM ----------

I agreed to go to the first meeting, and I chickened out too. BUT, I did go to the screening and it made me horribly uncomfortable, so consider this a win for you even if you didn't go to the screening.

5. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew this group wasn't for me but I couldn't go to the other group my therapist recommended. I have class during that time. It sucks because I really wanted to meet people like me on my campus this semester. I'm tired of feeling alone. The thing is I am just coming out to everyone and I would feel really out of place with a bunch of people that have been out and in relationships for a while. Isn't there anywhere I can go to get help with coming out? I just hate having to go through this alone.