1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please tell me this isn't true...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LailaForbidden, Jan 9, 2013.

1. LailaForbidden

Hey everyone...
    I was searching for some bisexual support stuff and came across a PFLAG pdf on the subject. Anyway i was scrolling down the page and all of the sudden I come across "it is virtually impossible for open bisexuals to become foster or adoptive parents." WTF.. its been my dream for a long time to adopt children instead of getting pregnant,ect. This is horrible! It can't be true can it? :icon_sad:
    Here is the source:
    http://www.pflag.org/fileadmin/user_upload/BisexualityResourcePacket.pdf

#1 LailaForbidden, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just spoke to Blair, one of our board members who is a foster care social worker. His job is choosing the families/households that foster children are placed in. He said that information (at least in California, and likely most everywhere else) is completely wrong.

His agency actively recruits non-traditional families, single adults, and LGBT people as foster parents, and they have more children than they are able to place, so they actively need more foster parents. It's like that most everywhere.

I think the only places where you might find that true would be perhaps in some backwards areas in the deep south.

It might be sensible to contact someone at PFLAG and encourage them to update that information. They can contact Blair through us if they want some accurate information :slight_smile:

3. Akatosh

Do you believe everything you read? Don't let something like this get to you. There are fearful, hateful groups of people driven to make everyone conform to the same archetypes. There is a lot of conjecture that people who do not know what it is to be bisexual say to breed fear into minority populations. If you find this alarming, then the right bells are going off in your head. You should be skeptical of crap like this, and you shouldn't take it serious. After all, are they taking us seriously?

4. LailaForbidden

I will do that. Thanks Chip (*hug*)

5. Akatosh

Just looked up what pflag is, and that is crazy they'd have that material on their site. I see your point now, sorry.

6. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think you missed that this was from the PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) website....kinda disturbing that something like that would be on there.

Thanks to Chip for clearing that up!!!

Andmow...you beat me to posting LOL!!!

7. Deaf Not Blind

yeah it makes you wonder how many organizations keep their info up do date, and why not?
    I thought that PFLAG group was supposed to be a good place for info for peeps wanting to undy and help support those who came out to them and maybe knew nothing...stuff like that would scare a lot of them.

I wonder what else they have wrong...

8. photoguy93

Actually, Gays/Lesbians tend to be foster parents because some places will let us do the hard work, but won't let us adopt. Mind you - it's only in a few places. These are the extremely backwoods/conservative states.