1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are Gay-Straight Alliances?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheQuietTreader, Jan 9, 2013.

1. TheQuietTreader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel like a nooblet for asking this. I was wondering cause my high school has a gay-straight alliance But what exactly are gay straight alliances? What do you do in them? Is it safe for a closeted person who is still not comfortable about coming out to be in? Thanks!

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A gay-straight alliance is an organization that provides a safe and supportive environment for the LGBTQ community and the straight allies. I would think that it is safe to attend since they're supposed to keep information confidential. If you're worried about the people that are going to be there, you could just say you're an ally until you feel more comfortable in the group.

3. MatthewJS

Im trying to create a GSA at my middle school. Im an open ally but not open gay. It also shows how supportive you are to the LGBT community. But I wont say anything after a while.

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi

This may not mean much to you because of your age, but here goes...

In theory a gay/straight alliance should be a safe place. However, as a rule teenagers can be emotionally brutal to each other. This solely has to do with immaturity.

Just realize being seen as an "ally" to some of your peers will paint a target on you.

If you are emotionally strong enough to deal with that move forward. If you are scared and closeted this may not be a good move at this time for you.

Always keep in mind that in life there is theory and then there is reality.

Reality always sends a wake up call by biting you in the butt.

Stuck

5. jp16

Where can i find it? do i have to create it...pardon me for asking but i really wanted to join that group but have no idea where to find.

6. photoguy93

It's important to ask. Especially because the haters think it's a place for gays to meet up and have sex, (I've heard that before.)

So yes, it can be a great way for everyone to get along if people do it right.

7. TheQuietTreader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mehhhh, I will have to think about this for a while. I'll just stick with my other club for now. Coming out to my other friend was enough for right now. And I'm sick anyways so I really don't feel like dealing with any opposition right now. Thanks stuck mistake. I think I'm just going to play it safe for a while.

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some schools have them, but it really depends on which school you go to. If you're really interested in joining one at your school, then you should speak to someone about starting one. As for finding an LGBTQ group in your area, try using Google to see if anything comes up.