1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you all get through depressive feelings?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Britter, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Britter

Britter Guest

I try to listen to music and tell my closest friend. How about you all? I guess some advice would be good since I'm always so damn lonely. :slight_smile: feel free to share any ideas.

2. aconite

usually my best remedy is to keep myself busy... just anything I can and like to do, drawing, writing a story, taking a stroll, watch movies, even cooking (which I don't normally do). Make a schedule or to-do list to make sure you're won't have too much time not doing anything, depressive thoughts come near when you're unoccupied...

3. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

Music is my biggest thing since I can just put it on all the way up! But when I have time, I love to draw. It can draw the exact way I'm feeling and keep it to myself. You don't even have to be good at it. Just draw what's on your mind. Sometimes I even just draw powerful words with shadows. It helps so much!

4. Britter

Britter Guest

I love drawing too :slight_smile: Haha we should all upload our drawings as inspiration or something.

5. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

I actually have thought about it!! :lol:

6. What works the best for me is doing my martial arts. It never fails to lift my mood.

7. Domadick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No body gets me !!
    My family think there something wrong with me !!

8. None

On the dark side of the moon, running to the east.
    Personally .. I get myself busy with something that would help me in the long run .. work on a portfolio .. try to compose something .. design something .. but I have to admit it doesn't work all the time ...

Just keeping yourself busy works most of the time ...

9. FunnyMonkey

I eat a lot and watch hallmark/lifetime movies.

10. aconite

That would be cool :icon_bigg How about posting them now?

11. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been two weeks since I learned that my first real love didn't feel the same (still friends though ^_^), and I'm slowly accepting it and moving on. I still love him, but every day that passes I'm more certain that things will remain the way they are, and that I have to move on.

What I do is think about what depresses me a lot, but not just the feeling itself, but why I'm feeling that way. It drags things out; avoiding the pain is easier, but at the same time I believe it helps me heal more completely. I can come to terms with why I'm upset, and rather than repressing it, bring it into the open so I can identify why I feel bad, and strive to fix the root of the problem. Lately I've been feeling lonely, which is only amplified by my crush going to parties and continueing with his life, yet rather than pretend I don't care, I realize that the actual reason that upsets me is because it makes me feel alone, and hurts my self-esteem. Knowing that, I know that to actually fix the reason for that feeling, I should spend more time with people, try and make new friends (though I'm not going to look for love for a while; I want to have moved on before I consider pursuing a relationship again, or else I might just jump on the first person I see to fill that missing part of my life).

But there is such a thing as too much thinking. I tend to balance things between introversion and getting out and doing things I normally enjoy.

12. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate exercising but when I do it seriously does help clear my mind from all dark thoughts, and it's even better when you do it with friends/others....

Keeping yourself pre-occupied is always good, to keep your mind busy so its not thinking about being depressed... Often our thoughts control our feelings, so I advise not thinking about being depressed, listening to depressing music, reading a depressing book, etc.

Get out, do something with someone if possible....! Interaction is many times helpful when your feeling down...!

Hmmm, thats all I got right now... Hope you feel better!

13. Caleb93

I've struggled with a lot of depression in the last past years. Now I'm doing a little better, but those thoughts and feelings are still there.Whenever I start feeling hopeless, I remind myself of what I've been through. Life might not be what I wish it was, but I'm still alive and well. And the tough times only make the good moments even better.

As far as things I do to get my mind off of things, listening to music and watching stuff is great. Also, I'll sometimes go for a walk or a drive to clear my head, but I end up getting distracted by everything out there and forget about whatever was bothering me.