1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ideas for how to show my feminine side

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crypticrose, Jan 10, 2013.

1. crypticrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    for quite sometime my parents have rejected me being trans and are avoiding the subject. i want to show them who i am in a way that they won't put too much of a fight over. i think acting feminine more is a good way but i fankly dont have any ideas about where i can start.

any ideas?

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm, maybe using clear nail polish? It'll help you practice your polishing skills in a subtle way. Or you might wear frilly underwear. They won't be able to see that!

3. Hatsupi Kona

Hatsupi Kona Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I usually associate grace and gentleness with feminism. The task we do everyday can reflect on this. For example, when you eat take tiny bites instead of swallowing a huge chunk. Try to not run, but walk wherever you go. Never rush things and stay patient at all times. Don't raise your voice, and never shout! Instead, talk in a slow, quiet voice. Hold things carefully and don't joke/fool around. It's the mannerisms I follow everyday!

4. crypticrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    thats some great advice guys. thanks! :grin:

5. Gen

Gen

Just release your inhibitions and be yourself.

Women vary in femininity just as much as men vary in masculinity. If you have to make a conscious decision to act more feminine, than you probably arent being true to yourself. My childhood environment caused me to surpress any feminine qualities I had at a very young age. As I began to grow, accept myself, and undo all that my family had done, I found myself becoming more and more free.(Which ultimately make more feminine/androgynous and such, but more in my own unique way). A bunch of girly fluff, wont bring out who your are inside. That will take time.

6. Hatsupi Kona

Hatsupi Kona Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To go for a more feminine look, moisturize your face and skin daily. I would recommend stuff with shea butter in it, but any lotion should do. Shea butter helps reconstruct skin by providing many needed substances. How does your hair look? Growing longer hair that is neat and not wild is very feminine. I have my hair styled in a way where I compare to many girls in my grade.

To go along with a new look is some other mannerisms I still haven't told you. When you talk, look at everyone in the eyes, but don't stare. I cock my head to the side I tad bit, adding a girly effect. Also, be sure to smile when you talk, but not a big grin. Think of smile of when you find that phone charger or something like that. Another thing I might add is how you hold things. A feminine way to hold things is to grasp it with your arm ( not hand ) and hold it against your chest. I have more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

7. OutwardSmiles

So I'm guessing you aren't really doing this for yourself but to try and force your parents into accepting you? It makes sense, but you don't need to do that. You should just act the way you feel comfortable and forget about what other people (even your parents if you need to) think, because you don't need to prove to anyone that you're feminine enough. In fact, one of the most attractive feminine qualities is to be confident about yourself, and if you're too busy wondering what your parents think about your gender you'll be lacking the best trait of them all.

That being said that you should just act however you want to, I will try to give you some tips. Try and grow your hair out like Hatsupi Kona said if you haven't already. Try getting some more feminine pajamas (whether they are actually girl pajamas or just less masculine pajamas from the male section). I think painting your nails clear is a good idea like myheartincheck said, and maybe some light make-up? For example if you don't want to just full out start wearing make-up you might just wear concealer and chap stick. Or you could wear anything from just chap-stick to full make-up, whatever you want to do. (Remember, be feminine the way you want to, not the way anyone else wants you to.) Try to swing your hips a bit when you walk. You've probably already figured this out already, but there's a difference between the way guys and girls move. Try and pick up on that a bit and adopt a more feminine way of carrying yourself if you haven't already. Maybe if you wanted to you could paint your toenails. That way your parents might not object since you're normally going to have socks or shoes on anyways.

It seems like some of the other people who responded didn't realize you were trying to be feminine in front of your parents to prove a point and instead thought you were trying to hide your femininity from them. Hopefully this helped.

The best advice I can give you is to just listen to your heart, ignore your parents' influence in this completely (without turning into some sort of crazy, uncontrollable person), and only do what you want to do. If you just set your feminine side free and ignore what they think about it then they'll most likely accept it a lot better than they would if you were just acting different to prove a point.

8. crypticrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    thats great advice outwardsmiles. my hair is still basically a man haircut. it has grown in such way that the hairs on the back of my head touch near the bottom of my neck. of course everytime it gets about this long my mom wants me to cut it. i have accepted my feminine side already (about 2 months now) but i never showed it around my parents. i have been acting more feminie though around friends so i know ill be ready to show my true colors to my parents soon.

you all have great advice and i really appreciate it :slight_smile:

9. Deaf Not Blind

hmmm...yes i tend to do the opposite. explains the stares.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2013 at 05:28 AM ----------

hi! I live in Vancouver, WA, and go to school in DC. Which Washigtonian are you? :slight_smile:
    so we are opposites. let me think, in my home state, how do girls do stuff your age?
    well, some use glitter hair sprays. Some have used the spray in neon pink stuff. Iknew girls who had blond hair and for spirit days would use jello or koolaid and add it to egg and put in hair and leave it a while then wash and had bright colors! cheap and no damage.
    if not nail polish, try just trim them neatly and let them grow out a bit, and then use one of them 4 sided rectangle things to buff them smooth and to a polish, like a manicure. can do toes with it too. subtly. boys have necklaces. same stores have girls ones. in the mall go to one and buy a necklace that is girls but a boy COULD maybe pass in it. you will know it was a girls. don't worry, likely the cashiers think you got a sis or girlfriend. don't be embarraed. i have no prob buying mens stuff. :slight_smile: wallet, you know girls do have some small ones like zip up ones for coins? a popular brand you find at macy's and maybe at ross is Roxy or Fossil. Quicksilver for boys makes Roxy. :slight_smile: you can find cute tshirts in Roxy, but they have the logo so they will know. if you want to be more discrete i guess that brand won't work for shirts! look at 17 magazine for current styles girls your age love. unless you have really big feet, you can buy and wear girls socks. ladies socks some are boring, but some are really cool. Portland makes Sock it to me, which has awesome fun socks! more are girls than mens, so you are lucky. they may sell it in small shops around your town. some have mushrooms or ladybugs, but a lot are just cool. heck, men and women would admire them on you. Keens sandals come in mens and women's, so if you can fit a womens size, you can maybe get a prettier color for summer. yeah, it is winter now. thermals, get a long sleeve one that is from juniors section, likely mom won't know difference. the cut of Levis for women and teens are not same as mens. not at all! but they will make your butt appear more female. no joke. sizing...oh dear. um if you are 32 waste jean about an 8 in missies and 9 in juniors, but they suck...many juniors are really really low, and well, they don't cover well your junk okay. so look for as missies or as long a waist as you can find...check the zippers...if they are 2 inches, don't try.

anything else?? bubble bath?

10. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have to agree with Gen.

I've never had a problem showing my 'feminine' side...if anything, I spent years hiding my 'feminine' side. For me it just comes natural.

11. crypticrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    both you and gen are right. i have slowly started to act more feminine as time passed after i accepted my fem side.