1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I act "normal" after coming out to best friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheQuietTreader, Jan 10, 2013.

1. TheQuietTreader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just told my first friend who is actually a good friend of mine that I'm gay. The other people I came out to were like guinea pigs, which I feel ashamed about now.
    I was wondering how do I get back to talking normally with him? My friend received it pretty well. But he told me he's still adjusting to it. He said he researched about gays after I came out to him. Then he told me I could just be curious. Then we had this awkward conversation about who I liked (I actually like him so I told him somebody else) and just basically homosexuality.
    OK quedtion time! I guess what I'm asking is how do I try not to take some things he says about gay people in the wrong way. I know he's just wondering. And when my friend feels all his questions have been answered how will I get used to it. I think I told him before I was completely comfortable with who I am. Also, how do I make jokes out of it? So it won't seem so awkward.

2. worriedWardrobe

I'd really like to know the answer to this too. I told my friend two weeks ago, and she took it well, but we haven't talked since

3. ecd123

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This kind of happened to me with my parents. I told them before I was actually ready...and it makes things awkward still. But I would just act normal and not bring too much attention to it. If he has questions he will ask, and just answer honestly. There's more to you than being gay so don't have it be the only thing you talk about when you're with him. Just go on as you naturally would.

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2013 at 01:17 AM ----------

I know it is frustrating to not talk about it after you come out, because you're wondering what they think and if they're okay with it etc. But some people just don't feel comfortable talking about it, or don't think it's that big of a deal and would prefer to just move on and talk about things other than sexuality.