1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by zizo, Jan 10, 2013.

1. zizo

Hi all,

So I need some advice. I am coming to the conclusion that I think I may need to change my environment. Currently I live in Kuwait but I think I need to plan to move to the States ( even if it is only for short while ) so that I can be in an environment where I can at least try to investigate this part of me without being paranoid about being outed and where their are resources I can refer to for moral support.

Quick refresh on my background. I am late thirties ( 38 ), deep in the closet and basically a virgin ( repressed the crap out of myself ).

I tried a trip to the US in August and I think I did it all wrong ( jumped around too much but did spend 2 weeks in NY ). Went to the gay center there but was surprised to find that it was pretty lacking in support groups. I did try to attend one but backed out, when I passed by the door and saw that they were all kids ( did not seem like a good fit for me ).

So my questions are as follows:
    1. If you were me and planning to move to the US which State would you pick? Right now I am thinking Seattle, seems like it has a good job market and healthy gay community.

2. Since I am planning the move for summer of next year ( save some money before I do this ) I am planning a short summer trip ( 3 weeks ) to visit the state that I will move to. How do I connect with gay community. I tried in NY but I found it intimidating and difficult. Not talking about bars or hook ups. I am talking about finding support groups or mixers where at least I can see what gay community is like and try to gain some strength for myself.

Any other ideas / recommendations will be very much appreciate.

Zizo

2. Ianthe

Seattle is good, and they just legalized same-sex marriage. By vote, even.

If you can't find a support group that suits you, look for activity groups. There are sports teams, hiking groups, choirs, and other things. Book clubs. All for gay people. If you are looking to make friends in a natural, casual way, that's the way to go.