1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't stand my prom date!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hatethiscloset, Jan 11, 2013.

1. hatethiscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay so this isn't a gay-related post, but I could still use the advice. Like an idiot, I asked this one girl to my school's prom like a few months ago (it just sort of happened, it wasn't my intention to ask THAT early). I guess my main problem with this is.....SHE IS SO ANNOYING.
    I can't even begin to describe how much she irks me. The main problem is this: she has this delusion that she and I are bestttt friends when we are not at all. I barely talk to her, she is in my circle of friends, but we are no more than loose friends if that. But since we agreed on going to prom together, she has been following me around like a puppy all the freakin time. My best friend and I will just be walking around, or maybe he is at my locker waiting for me to get my stuff, and she just SHOWS UP and does the same thing, as if she is that close to me. I can't even do this anymore, I just want to yell at her to go away lol. And this is at the point where all of my other best friends have noticed this and are just as annoyed as I am. In fact, when we are all together and she is with us she is literally having a conversation with herself because no one even looks at her.
    Now I was going to just suck it up and take her to prom, but she texted me a week ago asking me if I was SURE i wanted to go with her, and she specifically said if I have a crush on someone else I should just ask them. so this made me rethink things. My friends are telling me I shouldn't go if I don't want to. So I guess my options are: suck it up and go with her, tell her I have a crush on someone (even though I don't) or just tell her that she and I are not close enough of friends to go to prom together (which would kill 2 birds with one stone, but would also devastate her). So I'm just not sure what to do here, any thoughts?

2. Snyder

1. I would first ask what compelled you to ask her to prom? If she's so annoying it doesn't make much sense to ask her.

2. If she's offering you a way out it means 1 of 2 things. 1 is that she legitimately has a crush on someone else. 2 is that she noticed how much you dislike her and wants to let you cancel. Either way if you don't want to go I wouldn't

3. prism

Yikes. I do not miss high school.

Don't go with her if she annoys you that much. Plus, she gave you a chance to back out, and it kind of sounds like you and your friends are being a little harsh. You asked her to prom, which kind of gives the impression that A) you think you two are good friends or B) you have a crush on her, which is obviously not the case.

Just be honest with her. That way, you won't have to go to prom with her and she won't have to go with someone who finds her miserable to be around. It's her prom too, give her a chance to find someone else and enjoy it.

Good luck!

4. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I'd tell her that you're not close enough friends to go to prom together. You obviously would be miserable if you go to prom with her. Then, she would probably notice that you don't really like her. There's still time for both of you to find alternate dates. You should pick someone that you wouldn't mind spending a few hours with. Also, it's not the end of the world if you go without a date. I just went with a group of friends and I know a lot of people that did the same.

5. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm perplexed at why you asked her in the first place?

That being said....it's your prom....bring someone who you will at least have a good time with. My junior prom was a disaster and I regret going with the girl that I went with. We were sort of dating at the time so I asked her. She was in a b*tchy mood for like the first half of the prom until her friends pulled her aside and put her in her place. For me it was already ruined. My point is....don't go with someone who you don't want to go with.....you'll end up with a crappy memory of something that should be a happy one.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell her you're gay. That ought to put a damper on her unwanted intensity. :wink:

7. photoguy93

why did you ask her? If she thought you were straight, how did this happen? I could see a gay guy getting stuck, but that only applies to out guys.

I think you are just going to have to go with her. Bring her with your friends. Look, I knew a girl like this in high school. But I could see her as someone who needed the love.

Why aren't you going with your best friends?
    I went with mine. It was a great time. There was no chance I could go with a guy. So I must had fun.

8. Bree

Your phrasing makes me worry that if you don't go with her you won't go at all...which you'll regret more than going and dealing with her all night. However--if you have an alternative situation, go with that person instead.

Her asking if you want to change your mind could also mean that she has someone else she wants to go with but doesn't want to make you think you're her second choice.

9. LouisKat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel much worse for her than I do for you, to be honest. Whether asked romantically or as a friend, I would assume someone liked me and did not think I was SO ANNOYING if they asked me to the prom.

I would say do not go with her. Find someone else to go with. Maybe she has someone who actually likes her and would go with her if you did not. Maybe she doesn't have anyone to go with, but I would think if you did go with her, she would continue to think you like her, and her feelings may be hurt if she finds out later that you do not.

10. Bree

I'd like to add that I ignored my grad date after the ceremony, and my mom pointed out later that he was kind of hovering in the background...I still feel guilty about it. The fact that I wasn't interested in him didn't give me the right to act like a jerk.

11. hatethiscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lol I suppose I was a bit too harsh in my explanation of this. First of all, we ended up going together because of this: We were just joking around at first and I was like oh its okay if I don't find anyone you can be my backup :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:P (JOKING) and shes like haha I'm ur first choice or nothing! and i then said "okay" and she was like "Okay??? So are you asking me? And at that point I felt backed into a corner so im just like uhhh....yeah? Obviously the worst thing I could've said lol.
    And second, I wasn't this annoyed by her at the time I actually asked her. Everything would've been fine if I asked her and she was just cool with it and acted normally. But the whole clingy thing is freaking me out, that was uncalled for on her part and its freaking me out. (And just the way our friend circle works, she knows for a fact I don't have a crush on her, which would be impossible anyway lol).
    Also, even if I didn't have her or anyone to go with, I would definitely still go to prom with my friends. even if I did go with her, I would honestly be with my friends more than with her.