1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finding internship without reference?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ticklish Fish, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Ticklish Fish

just a quick question, as title.
    It seems like a lot of internship requires references.. but I don't seems to have any good references at the moment ._.

and I am currently looking for some summer science research internship, since I don't see any industries hiring people like me yet haha :roflmao:

2. Amicus

Hi Ticklish Fish,

Just to clarify: is the problem that you don't have any references or that you think the ones you do have won't work for some reason?

3. Ticklish Fish

both.

in a way i dont have reference, but in a way, i don't think the ones i can try referencing for are convincing lol.

my grade is kind of bad already :/

4. BudderMC

Have you talked with your professors at all?

5. Amicus

If there's anyone you think could possibly do this for you, go ahead and ask them if they would mind serving as a reference. It's the polite thing to do anyway, and if they say yes odds are that they won't have a problem vouching for you. If you're having trouble thinking of anyone who could serve as a reference, here are some suggestions:

(1) Previous employers (even in unrelated fields). Have you held any jobs at all? Internships are primarily for those without experience in the field, so an employer checking your references will mainly be looking to hear that you show up on time, finish your work in a timely fashion, are not an asshole, etc. Anyone who's supervised your work can do this for you.

(2) Teachers. As BudderMC pointed out, former teachers/professors would make a good reference for this type of position. They can also verify that you come on time, do your work, and aren't a jerk as well as testify to your research/academic abilities. Ideally this would be someone who has taught you a science course of some kind.

(3) Other kinds of supervisors. Are you involved in any activities, clubs, sports, volunteer groups, or anything like that? Coaches or other kinds of supervisors could also serve as a reference.

(4) Guidance counselors/academic advisors. These kinds of people probably don't know you as well as your teachers, but they can also serve as a reference since they're responsible for tracking your overall progress.

If you think that there's absolutely no one who could give you a reference, then I would recommend doing any of these:

1. Look for internships that don't require them
    2. Are you currently a university student? Volunteering in a lab would be an excellent way to gain relevant research experience and get a reference.
    3. Get involved in something in which your work will be overseen by someone else. Community service, sports, academic groups: find something that interests you that gives you the opportunity to make some connections who could serve as references.

Good luck!

6. Ticklish Fish

Uh, I don't know any labs in my university that offers voluntary applicants haha.

However, there is this summer internship program that requires a minimum 3.0 GPA and other things like reference. I planned to talk to one of my professor whose office I actually been into it a few times and see if she would be a good reference candidate haha.

the thing is though, (right now reading the application info), I am a bit confused on if I need to talk to one professor for letter of recommendation and another for research sponsorship haha.

and I am unemployed ever @_@

i'll get back to y'all on that.