1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just want to be friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by darkestknight, Feb 29, 2008.

1. darkestknight

So, I have a crush on a... uh... a cute guy in my college.

Unfortunately (and fortunately at the same time) he's straight, so I'm not thinking of becoming his partner or not dating him or whatever it is. Just want to be friends.

But... there's a problem. A crush isn't EASY to be dealt with - sometimes I wish I want to see him... sometimes I don't wish I want to see him. To see or not to see.

In the end, everytime I get near him... I got flustered, or my heart beating too fast, or worst case, blush.

Now I know it IS a crush, but I know I can directly dampen all my feelings that knowing him is a straight.

However, I couldn't get to get myself to start any converstions with him because I'll get nervous, or blush, or whatever.

What you guys and girls think ?

2. step49x

Hmm, I'd say that this looks exactly like something I would have written, say about a year ago (hmm, i should check my post log, i wonder if i ever wrote anything about him..). Anyways, yeah, I've got this huge crush on a straight guy in my grade (i'm a sophomore in college, now). It's been quite 'interesting' for me, because I've known him since college started. We're actually have the same major (computer science), so I've had at least one class with him, every semester. I'm currently trying to get an apartment with four other guys next year. He's one of them (which could be both good and bad, on several levels). So basically, I think I know what you're going through. :wink:

A few questions about the whole situation: So, you want to be friends with him? How long have you known him for? How often do you see him? Does he know you're gay?

I do think it's possible to be friends with him. It will just take a bit of work on your part.

3. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going through this at the moment; my straight flatmate who I get on well with but who doesn't know I'm gay. The odd thing is I didn't really feel that way until recently, and don't know why my feelings have changed but it's getting in the way of our friendship. I know what you mean about wanting to keep distance, you hope if you stay out of their way then you'll get over the crush.

Basically he's straight, you can't be with him, so just try to be mates with him and bury your feelings. That's not really good advice, it's sorta unhealthy, but that's what I'm doing.

4. step49x

I think I've gotten really lucky, as far as crushes go. Not only does mine know I'm gay, I also mentioned around a month back that I did have a crush on him. He's incredibly laid back, so he took it surprisingly well (i think he mentioned he "was flattered"). I know that definitely doesn't happen with a lot of people, so I'll just count my blessings with that.

Yeah, I know burying your feelings isn't the best advice, but that's what I'm doing right now. I really do value him as a friend, and I don't want to loose that. I've been wanting to get a bf for a while, to help get my mind off of him (haven't gotten lucky, yet.. :dry: ). But yeah, I've known him for around a year and a half, and I still haven't gotten over him. I've learned how to control it (or at least not show it). So yeah, probably not the healthiest thing, but it's what I'm doing, as well.

5. darkestknight

Thanks for the opinions. :slight_smile:

Actually I'm not really worried about getting him or anything else. It's the "starting any converstions" part that is really tricky to me. Usually I can start any conversations on people that I don't know (like asking for directions), but I *just* couldn't make myself to approach him.

For the questions, the thing is, he's one of my close friend's friend, and also some of my coursemate's friend as well. I get to see him ALMOST everyday. I was hoping he actually don't know anything about me being a homosexual too. :slight_smile:

and yeah, before that, I recalled that I shook hands with the guy that I had crush on about a semester ago. (my close friend introduced him to me) At that time I didn't realize that he's so damn cute, so just enjoyed the view. However, for this semester, when me and my close friend were chatting, and all of a sudden that guy came past by and talked, and there was when I noticed him and got a crush.

Finally, I don't even recall his name. His name was complex, and I remember something like an 'x' in his first name. :slight_smile: