1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What term do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Incognito10, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Incognito10

When referring to a signficiant other, which do you prefer, if not in a heteronormative relationship?

-The more traditional, husband-husband for gay men or wife-wife for lesbians, if married. Or boyfriend-boyfriend if not married for gay men or girlfriend-girlfriend for lesbians if not married? Or do you prefer simply, "spouse" or "partner"? For some reason, I simply prefer the term spouse (I am in a civil union because it's legal in my district).

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Depending on how far the relationship has progressed, the terms I plan to use are, in order, "guy I'm dating", "boyfriend", "partner", and after we get married, "husband". I know a lot of queer folk don't like the term "partner" for their significant other because it sounds too formal, like a business partner, but I don't have those hang-ups. And I don't want to use "boyfriend" indefinitely because it just doesn't sound like a term for someone I'm in a seriously relationship with.

3. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Personally, I prefer the terms boyfriend, husband and marriage.

And to be honest, the generic terms of 'partner', 'spouse' and 'civil union' kind of offend me because those are the terms that others have forced upon the LGBT community because of their ignorance and lack of understanding.

To me, the generic terms belittle the relationships that enter into. We're not good enough to have a husband or a wife, or to have a marriage. Just my opinion though....

4. Incognito10

I certainly understand. I just probably have some underlying issues with terms that the churches tend to use as I've had negative experiences with religion and family. I've, at times, just wished the US government would switch over to "civil union" or the term "civil marriage" for everyone (for opposite and same sex marriage) and let the churches have the term "marriage." I feel then the churches can just give it all a rest, maybe.

5. FruitFly

I usually use partner. Nothing to do with being forced to do so by the community at large, whether I'm in a "normal" relationship or not I call them my partner because they're my partner in life. So that is my preferred term.

To be fair, my entire family use the word partner when referring to their significant others, married or not. So I view it as entirely more normal than using any other term and indeed fail to see it as something forced upon the LGBTQ community. I would never have thought such terms could be viewed as offensive.

#5 FruitFly, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. Incognito10

I live in the US but watch a lot of British television and other media venues and I have noticed that even heterosexual couples refer to their spouse as their "partner." So, someone referring to their "partner" would not really indicate their orientation. In the US, if you said, "my partner" you would most likely be assumed to be gay.

7. FruitFly

I keep forgetting about little cultural differences like that. It's all rather interesting to think about.

8. AaronG

AaronG Guest

I'd probably call my significant other my boyfriend until we get married then I'd call him my husband. I don't see why I'd have to call him something different from everyone else.

9. julia

I HATE the term partner. If I have a girlfriend I'm going to call her my girlfriend and when she becomes my wife, she's my wife, simple as that.

10. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Probably something similar to what Owen put forward. Also, I think there's something strangely endearing about 'partner,' but perhaps that's just me. In any case, I agree that after a certain period of time 'boyfriend' would sound kind of odd.

11. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Girlfriend/wife. I feel that if we use the same terms as everyone else, just as casually, it'll be a lot easier for people to warm up to the idea of same-sex couples, and LGBTQ people in general.

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2013 at 01:42 PM ----------

Fiance won't change either.

12. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I really don't like the term "partner." I prefer girlfriend and then when I get married it would be wife.

13. Equalist

Equalist Guest

I like the term "partner", and I do not intend on ever getting married, so I would probably choose to stick with "partner".

14. RainbowMan

I have no issues with the term "partner" in any relationship - straight or gay.For example, I consider my brother to have an opposite-sex partner - they're in a committed relationship, but not married (and she's just as much a member of the family as if they were married). Of course, in the US if you use that term you're assumed to be gay as a previous poster pointed out, which is quite unfortunate, but not 100% accurate.

15. PurpleCrab

I call my wife, well, wife! And spouse, soulmate, dear, beauty, pretty, sexy.

I don't like the terms that are overly generic like partner; would make it sound like she could as well me my colleague or something. I also don't like diminishing petnames like baby, kitty and the likes; she's my equal, not my pet.

16. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me, the word partner sounds more like what older people would use, rather than necessarily meaning they're gay. Like, people who feel silly saying "girlfriend" etc because they're in their 60s or something. idk.

17. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boyfriend/girlfriend.

I use partner sometimes online when what I'm talking about can mean both girlfriend and boyfriend, simply because it is easier than to say "boyfriend/girlfriend," but I would never use it to describe my boyfriend.
    I think "partner" sounds.. well.. gay.

If I get married, obviously I'd say wife/husband.

18. Deaf Not Blind

i don't like "partner" either. Howdy partner!
    no way!

Look, it is like you are trying almost to hide the gender of the person you love!
    I don't care if I get in trouble...like dirty looks or questions...if I found somebody I finally love who loves me back, I will tell everybody this person here is my GIRL FRIEND...or BOY FRIEND. Whatever God gives me, I will not be ashamed of.

I will leave partner for playing board games and dancing terms.

19. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd just say husband or boyfriend

20. luvlontime

I'm with Deaf Not Blind...everytime I hear partner, I think of square dancing! I prefer boyfriend/husband