1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the cause of homosexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Theagonist, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm just wondering what your ideas are on this topic - as a gay man (well I'm only 15), I can say it's not a choice - once you can have total control of your libido; tell me. Any idea will work - just as long as you have a fact to back it up. And Btw lust and having sex is a choice however

2. Given To Fly

Well, if it were a choice, would you choose it? I doubt many people here would. Pretty much proves to me that it is simply the way you're wired.

3. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sure it's all very strictly neurological. Not as in a disorder, mind you. I would like to believe I'm pretty sound minded. =P
    So, there's no real "choice" to it. Now acting on it is a choice, no question. I'm a gay man; I'm going to have relationships as such. I could go out and have a heterosexual relationship, that would be my choice in the matter, but at the end of the day, I'd still be gay. My attraction lies with the same sex.

4. [YOUTUBE]LYMjXucTFaM[/YOUTUBE]

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    multiple factors. Prenetal hormone exposure is one that l haven't discarded.

What scares me a little about this one is that it makes me think if l were treated with hormones l might be different.

Even when l was on birth control, l DID notice l felt more feminine 'in my mind' IYKWIM. BUT l still had no authentic attraction to males.

At this point l don't think the effect hormones can have on the brain of a developing fetus can be altered but l do think that 'treatments' to cure the gay this way will be developed and l don't love the implications of that.

6. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Actaully, they gave straight men high doses of estrogen, they were still straight, so I don't think it's hormonal - at all

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l've heard this too. l don't think it's this simple, for now.

The way hormones effect the brain can be hardwired. And it doesn't necessarily (or even usually) affect the way hormones develop in the body later in life.

Like most gay men don't have too much estrogen and lesbians aren't loaded with male hormones like some people think (and was probably once believed). So hormones don't affect us that way because we aren't hormonally similar to the opposite sex, physically.

At least not to the extent to change the way our brains are hardwired, if yo give hetero males and females high doses of hormones that are not typical for their bio sex they'll show slight variations in behavior that are in accordance with the way the hormones should affect them.

But there's no reason to think that if researchers thought they could alter the parts of the brain that are "male'' and ''female'' or reverse the effects of hormonal exposure through other means they wouldn't IMO.

#7 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  8. ForceAndVerve

9. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've thought about this question a lot and came to the same conclusion as this quote I read in a book called Homosexuality, A Natural History:

“Homosexuality is a natural, abiding, normal sexuality for some people. It is not a disease state, not simply a behaviour, and not subject to change. It develops in some individuals as a result of influences of heredity, prenatal development, childhood experiences, and cultural milieu in varying combinations. No one influence seems either necessary or sufficient – homosexual orientation is a possible outcome in many different circumstances because the human mind is uniquely evolved to be rich in possibilities.” (Mondimore, 249)

10. tea123

tea123 Guest

Isn't there that whole thing about if your index finger is longer than your ring finger there is a higher probability that you will be gay (in men anyway)? It's something to do with the hormones you receive in the womb or something. I have no idea how true it is, just something I heard/read.

BBC News | SCI/TECH | A finger on sexuality

11. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Kind of. it's supposed to determine the gender of your brain more so than sexual orientation. Since many gays just happen to be more similar to the opposite sex in some regards l never cared much about differentiating my own gender from my sexual orientation but l do have the "male" finger ratio.

it also varies with ethnicity which l thought was interesting.

Side note being...a considerable number of straight, cisgender women do too. But they also tend to display some male typical behaviors, l think it's a factor.

#11 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  12. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    On my right hand they're nearly the same size, but on my left my ring finger is bigger - and I'm pretty feminine, not overly so, but a little more than I am masculine

13. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    :slight_smile:

weirdly l have the short index finger on the left and even SHORTER on the right. So l'm like...super masculine lol.

l think it's interesting for sure. l can't say l have a huge number of innate HARDCORE male behaviors though. l'm not even athletic, AT ALL.

But l read a lot about that at one point and it's also pretty consistent with certain skills and personality traits which l usually do line up with and fit the male profile as far as that goes.

14. tea123

tea123 Guest

My index and ring fingers are the same length on both hands. Which is supposedly something that you mostly get with females, yet I'm typically masculine, not overly so though, and not that effeminate at all really. I dunno, just thought it was an interesting little thing, and it got us all looking at our hands :lol:

#14 tea123, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  15. Maybe I'm being overly direct, but I don't think it matters why people are gay. They just are or they just aren't. That's the way it goes.

16. I read that homosexuality in men is caused by an extra X chromosome during the development of the womb. The cause of homosexuality in women is still unknown.

17. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    yeah... that makes little to no sense, and it's impossible

18. Pyrotactick

I think it's biological (your born with it). But sometimes you might not even know it for the rest of your life, or you do a little, but you push the feeling away. So one's born with it, but one doesn't know until one realizes.

19. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

It is pretty obvious that people do not choose who they are attracted to and attractions usually stay stable to a particular gender throughout life, although there's some exceptions. I believe like most complex human behaviors, that sexual orientation is determined by a complex interaction of nature and nurture. The biological component, which is the most popular one, is only one piece of the puzzle. We are all different, all perceive the world differently. Our psychological make up is different from person to person. There's so many environmental variables that affect the way we think and feel. If anything, I believe you are born with a predisposition. But it is your infancy through childhood that will determine your place on the sexuality spectrum.

20. Fiddledeedee

Well, it's not impossible; there are people with XO, XXY, XXYY, XXXY, XXXYY, XXXXY, XXX, XXXX, XXXXX, XYY, XYYY, or XYYYY chromosomes. (Yes, I did copy-paste that list from elsewhere!) However, this means the person is intersex. Their sexuality isn't determined by it, though other factors in the womb almost certainly do play a role.