1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School problem

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Calico, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Calico

So, recently my family moved to a different state, and once the school holidays are over, I'll be going to a new school.
    But my problem is: should I start school being open about my sexuality or should I wait till Later on???

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are ready to live more openly, then I don't see any problem starting at this school as your true self. Personally, I would rather be open about it from the beginning when/if the subject comes up as opposed to making friends and then coming out later on if you decided to tell people.

3. Calico

I can definitely see your point, but I'm worried that if I do it that way somehow it'll reach my parents, and that's not the way I'd like to come out to them.

4. mothcaterpillar

I have no idea what moving schools is like but its probably best to be honest with people you are wanting to make friends with otherwise if you hide it and tell them down the line they might think you lied to deceive them if your already sure and confident to be out at school.
    You obviously dont have to say hi Im... & Im gay nice to meet you
    They might ask if you've seen any boys you like yet n you could tell them then

5. Calico

Yeah, it might get a bit awkward if I say it straight away lol. I guess it'd be better to be honest about it but I'm still not sure.... Cause once you get to know people isn't it supposed to be easier to guess what their reaction would be?

6. shovelman

Well you don't have to be direct about it. Just be honest if they ask, well that is if you want to be out if not then don't answer or try to steer clear away from questions like that.

7. Live Love Smile

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes.

Acting hetero was eating me from the inside out so I had to be honest with myself and other people. You could use the "bi stepping stone" (please don't hate me for saying that!). I thought I was truly bisexual at the time and that's what I came out as, to parts of my family, including my mother. My school knows me as bi, but I think there's some who know that I play full out for the lavender team.

Ignoring the ramble, you deserve to be honest with yourself. Would it make you feel better to come out and are you ready to handle what some anti-gay people throw at you?

I wouldn't say "Wave the rainbow flag!" but definitely don't hide it. There's nothing to be ashamed about.

8. Calico

Thanks both of you for your advice.
    Shovelman: that sound like a good way to come out, really. Make it not such a big deal and all that.
    Live Love Smile: thanks for sharing your story with me. I don't think I'll use the "bi stepping stone" ( I don't hate you for using that at all, it's kinda a good name no offense to those genuinely bisexual) because I can't be bothered going to the trouble of coming out twice.
    As for your questions, I think it would be better to come out, as I'm getting to that time in life when every one in your year becomes obsessed with relationships and I'm not interested in dating boys at all, especially to hide who i am. And I'm ready for the anti gay rubbish, because its not my problem, it's the homophobe's.

However, I still have one reservation about Being out from the start, and it's that my parents are going to find out from a teacher or classmate or something. I only have two weeks left till school starts. Do I tell them before? Would they believe me since I've just turned 14? :help: