1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I make accepting friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Asari, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it weird to go to PFLAG alone? I don't have any family or friends I can take. I have a few old friends in this town from the church I grew up in but I can't take them because they don't accept me. I only have one friend that accepts me and my older sister. They both live 3 hours from me. So what help can I get while I'm in college? I'm not technically out to the world but I don't really care to come out to most of the people I know. I prefer to shove them out of my life so they don't reject me. I don't have any real friends and I want to make new friends that are gay and accepting. Where do I start?

2. ForceAndVerve

No, I don't think it would be weird to go to a PFLAG meeting alone. I imagine lots of people do because they are in the same situation like you ie they don't know anyone else who would be interested in going. :slight_smile:

3. RainbowMan

Well, before you go shoving people out of your life, I'd try coming out to them - you may be surprised by their reactions.

And isn't PFLAG for parents and friends? Sure you'd meet accepting people there, but you might not exactly meet other lesbian people there. I wouldn't be so sure if it's odd to go there alone or not, having never been to any type of LGBT support group before.

You might try gay bars around the area too. Probably not good relationship material, but perhaps good friend material.

4. JohnJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Asari,

I am in a similar situation to yours. I am in the early stages of coming out and am starting to reach out to the LGBTQ community. I think anything you can do to reach out at this point is helpful. Definitely go to a PFLAG meeting. See what happens. You mentioned college. I'll bet there is a Gay Straight Alliance, or a LGBTQ Resource Center. Look in to it, the ones at my school are full of wonderful, funny, and very supportive people. Good luck and don't give up, there really are some wonderful people out there.

5. LouisKat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I would google gay straight alliances in your area or LGBTQ centers. If you are staring college, see if there is a gay straight alliance there. I am not sure how widespread or common SAFE ZONE is, but you could see if anyone at your college participates in that.

6. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't been able to find any gay-straight alliances in my area. My campus/city is very gay friendly but I haven't found any of those. I know there is PRIDE and such but I am not confident yet enough to go. I want to find something that will give me support to come out.

7. Ianthe

You can absolutely go to a PFLAG meeting. They are very supportive, and they will know what other resources are available. Do NOT worry about it being for parents and whatever--there are lots of LGBT people that are members of PFLAG themselves.

I think it's a really good idea to get support before coming out to everyone. I don't think you should push people out of your life on the assumption that they will reject you, but making some friends that you know support you before coming out any more is a really good plan.

PFLAG is awesome. They will help you. They will not think you are weird. Absolutely go to PFLAG. You will suddenly have a giant new family. PFLAG loves you. (I know because they give out stickers that say that.)