1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to gay bar

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Eletricalmonkss, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I'm going to a gay bar soon with one of my friends for the very first time. I have no idea what the social life is like in gay bars as I haven't gone to one or if there is a proper etiquette what would it entitle?

2. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I was so afraid to go to a gay bar for the first time and when I did I ended having a really great time! The gay bar I go to doesn't really have any etiquette, except the normal etiquette of going out to any public place. Just have fun! :icon_bigg

3. PeteNJ

When I worked in the city (NYC), we would go after work to gay bars. They're fun, cool, and a scene. They're all very different, so if you hit one that you don't like or feel comfortable in, go to another place. Have a fun time!

4. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm looking forward to it, a little nervous about it but every gay IMO is when they first go to a gay bar. Good thing is I have a supportive system of friends so it won't be totally awk plus drinks and cute guys will make it less anxiety inducing.

5. PeteNJ

You'll be one of the cute guys that others will be looking at, too. :icon_wink

6. Given To Fly

In simple terms it's just a bar!

In my experience, you will find that they vary - some places are really cosy and everyone is friendly. Others feel like cattle markets which I personally find uncomfortable. And some places look they've they've only just finished clearing up after a mass brawl...

If you don't like the first gay bar you end up in, don't rule out trying another :slight_smile:

7. Mhin

just be yourself and enjoy the night. Don't bother with eye contact thing :slight_smile: