1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to father.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jscotty, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Jscotty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So far my brother and my sister know and I'm fairly sure most of my family would accept me when i come out of the closet, but the issue is my father. He has always stated how he hated gays or rather in his words, "fags and queers". I do not want to disappoint him, but on a living note I don't want to be thrown out of my home with nowhere to go. I have 1 last semester of college at home then I go away, but I don't want to wait to tell him or wait to be happy. I have no idea what to do, while my brother assures me that our father is kidding and would accept me, not throw me out. Though he admits it will be awkward for a while. I want to trust my brother, but am far too scared to.

2. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

That can a really tough situation. I really think you should make sure you have somewhere to go before you tell him, if you really believe that he could throw you out. One more semester seems like a long wait now, but it would be over before you know it. It would be better if you were on your own, or knew you had a place to go because then if he did throw you out it wouldn't be too much to handle. If he did take it the wrong way you would have somewhere to go to wait until he cooled down/came to an acceptance of your sexuality.

Another thing to think about is you may not be ready to come out to him just yet. I think some people come out just for the sake of coming out sometimes they come out too soon and then retreat back into the closet. These issues may not be the case for you but try to have some sort of back up plan if you think this will end badly.

If you think it will go okay like your brother said, then go for it!

3. Jscotty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I came out to him and my mother today. My father tried to convince me that it was just because I hadn't found the right woman while he had the look that he had lost his son. My mother said it was weird and must be some mental psychosis and I can't be gay because only rich and famous people are gay. At least I have a place to live for now.

4. rg93

It sounds to me like he is in shock. Tread carefully, I'm not sure we can know how he will react when he comes out of it and realizes what's up. But the way you recounted the encounter, it seems to have gone well enough? Keep us updated if things take a turn for the worse.

Otherwise, congratulations! (*hug*)