1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I like my friend as more than a friend...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Slow91GP, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Slow91GP

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I can't say I'm JUST noticing this but a friend of mine, who IS gay, I think I have deeper feelings for him than just being friends. It seems like we click so well together, have identical interests, the same sense of humor, etc etc. I even have another friend whos constantly telling me how we should date because it seems like we're always hanging out.

Well this leads me to the obvious fork in the road.

A BIG part of me does NOT want to act on it because if shit hit the fan, I could not stand to lose him as a friend. But obviously its like, we're too similar to ignore it and I'm so happy when I'm with him. I'm not sure what my next step is, I'm content with being just friends because like I said I dont want to screw that up, but should I try and act on it or just leave it alone?

2. CharlesFP

limerick PA About 1 hour from Philadelphia
    I would go for it. Well I say that online but I'm in the same position and I don't wanna lose my best friend either

3. Slow91GP

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been going through phases recently. Like for the most part I'm glad we're friends, and then theres times where I'm just like "wow, hes like exactly what I'm looking for in a guy"

4. photoguy93

I have no gay male friends. I spent years liking the straight friends I had.

Moral of the story? GO FOR IT.

5. CharlesFP

limerick PA About 1 hour from Philadelphia
    I know what you mean but then we disagree on 1 little thing and don't talk to each other for about a week. and that is without dateing I think it would only cause us more problems. Maybe you should just ask him if he feels the same way as you

6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also think that you should try it out if it's something you really want and feel that he might be feeling similar. Sure it might not work out, but what if it does? You'll probably kick yourself and always wonder "what if," if you don't ever do anything about what you're feeling. And if things happen to not work out, who says you can't still be friends in the end? You'll still have all the same things in common to pull you back together.

7. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you guys are close, and have a good level of communication already, I'd say talk to him about it. I would not suddenly ask him out, out of nowhere, since he may not think of you in that way at the moment. It's definitely worth trying though, since relationships where you share a lot in common are the best ones; the ones that last.

The key thing is to make sure that you're not desperate or pushy sounding; emphasize the fact that you absolutely would not be offended if he didn't feel the same way, but that you'd be interested in trying things out if he was as well. Trust me, as long as you don't trap him in a situation where he is forced to either date you or hurt you, your friendship should be just fine.

8. Slow91GP

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This its the answer I was looking for lol. Because I felt like if I just ASKED him out, it would make things extremely awkward, but maybe yeah, discuss it with him and just make it known that if the feelings aren't mutual, no feelings will be hurt. I just need to know, you know? lol

9. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Agreed. Do it!:thumbsup:

10. chiboi15

I totally feel you--there's this guy I'm beginning to get to know and I just absolutely freaking adore him and am totally crushing on him big time. However A: we are in the just getting to know each other stage, and B: he may just like me as a friend. He is such a genuinely good guy that even if he doesn't want to date me I still would like to value his friendship because he is so intelligent and has such an absolutely pure heart. So yeah I'm trying to navigate that right now.