1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is coming out really worth it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HelloMyNameIs, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm starting to think that it isn't. I don't see how coming out would improve my life. The only thing that would change is that people will think differently of me and be awkward around me. What's the point?

2. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Finding a mate. A handful of people will accept you. Lying to people becomes a hassle after a while. If you really don't want to, then don't.

What would your life be like if you never came out to anyone and people assumed you were straight even after you die? Seriously, try to imagine that. If the idea seem preferable, then you know what to do.

#2 plasticcrows, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  3. MerBear

i think it's because to just lay it out on the table and not have to worry about people asking you or guessing or just to get it off your chest. i don't see the point either but im trying to see it from other people POV

4. redstormrising

not having to worry whether my friends and family would still be there if they knew the *real* me. being able to date openly is a big plus, too.

5. photoguy93

You won't be as nervous. You won't worry about what people think.

But it can be very lonely. You will have your friends (if they are open minded), but in get s of dating? Eh.

Honestly, I sometimes wonder what would have happened had I stayed in the closet. I think I would have told my friends. But the world? Don't know. I spent years out of the closet. I was harassed and made to feel unworthy.

Then, these others just popped up, came out, and started dating. It gets really tough.

But in the end, I am happy with my loved ones and friends. That trumps the romantic loneliness.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to think the same thing. Then I realized that someday I would have a girlfriend. I figured that I should get it out of the way sooner rather than later.

Coming out also allowed me to be myself. I didn't have to hide a whole part of myself anymore.

You're the only one that can make the decision though. If your not ready to come out yet, then don't come out.

7. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Just like thecat06 said, you don't have to hide anymore. I always felt like I wasn't being true to myself so i couldn't be true to others. I hid who I really was for such a long time, always trying to conform to what others wanted me to be, or the way I thought they wanted me to be. Now I'm living for me.

8. Honestly, that doesn't seem like that bad of an option. Thank you for this.

I don't think coming out is for me. I was much happier when I was still in denial, so I think I'm just going to ignore this. Thank you all for everything. EC has been wonderful, but I think it's time for me to leave.

#8 HelloMyNameIs, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  9. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Because you're standing up for LGBT rights and despite popular belief not everyone is evil and are going to automatically hate you. You can fit in the community, you can be happy.

If not today hopefully you will come out someday

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It takes away the power your sexuality holds over you. While you're in the closet, so much of your life revolves around staying in the closet. If you come out, it means you're not having to worry about hiding and keeping secrets.

11. fortheloveoflez

Yes. Because then you know that you are being honest to yourself and every one around you.

12. NouvelleVague

Getting it off your chest will feel like a huge relief :slight_smile:

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread is from January and the user has since self-deleted. Please check the dates on threads before you post :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.