1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I motivate myself.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Niqk, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To study and get a move on... motivation over the past 7 years died in me. Can someone tell me what I should do?

2. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm starting to act that way. I'm having a hard time motivating myself. Ever since I got out of the relationship I was in I haven't been myself and I never study anymore. I'm more reclusive and I'm constantly sad...

I don't know if that's how you feel, but if there's something in your way then you have to deal with that first.

3. Ditz

Sounds like both of you might suffer from depression for which you cam get treatment. It can't do any harm to go speak to your doctor about it, if you do get diagnosed with depression he can prescribe treatment that can help you get back out of it.

4. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I had a crush on someone that went way out of hand years ago when I was sixteen that made me very sad, but it seems that I've always had motivation problems from 14 and onwards.

Pardon the bragging, I used to be a brilliant student who would do little studying and come top of the class, and on occasions, top of the year. Now I can't do shit, nor have I for several years. I can't seem to deal with it if it's still in me all this time.

5. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Ditz: I'm just having the post-relationship Blues, but you're right.

@Niqk: I remember when I was 10 years old, me and my friend were incredibly close. We've kissed and held hands once or twice on the way to school, and cute little things like that, then one day his mom found out.

Two weeks later they moved out of the neighborhood. It crushed me pretty hard, even to this day.

#5 Shadowsettler, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  6. Deaf Not Blind

Depression is common for us, but even non-queers get it bad in the winter months, esp if in school or sick or overworked.

Exersize, listen to upbeat music that has fun not depressing lyrics, make a smile in mirror even though you don't want to, get outside and walk around, and if you have any friends go do something even just have lunch out.

Then for motivation after that, write goals long term, short term and today. cross off every thing you get done...it feels good. get involved in a group doing some kind of activism you like, any kind. their energy will get into you.

7. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah that must have been hard, I've had experiences slightly similar but oh well.

After some thinking I realized why I am so down, my parents, father in particular had on many occasions, almost a daily occurrence in my childhood called me ''stupid'', ''moron'', ''zero'', you name it when I would get not quite so good marks. And I started to believe that I was stupid. My marks went even lower until it would be below the pass mark, and things became much worse.

Yeah guess I just have to stick with my life being like this I guess, because I cannot convince myself that I am not stupid.

8. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could simply be bored, or you might be suffering from clinical depression. If the lack of motivation actually prevents you from pursueing anything, regardless of how interesting it is, then you're likely depressed. A combination of antidepressants (I'd reccomend low-doses if you're just mildly depressed; they're addictive and can cause rebound depression at higher doses) and therapy. I know therapy might sound unappealing to many, but it can really help. It's not really about arcane psychotherapy tricks, it's more about having someone you can tell everything that bothers you too, without worrying about blowing up a close relationship (like a spouse) or your secrets getting out (confidentiality laws).

You may just be bored with your life though. Maybe try exploring interests you never considered before, like art, reading, social activites (i.e clubs), computer stuff (game programming, web design, etc). I've gone through periods in the last few years where I just felt "meh" all the time. Not exactly depressed in the sad sense, but more of just not excited about anything. Forcing myself to pursue a hobby, something that I could be proud of helped a lot.

9. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been badgered by my parents like that as well. I disappointed them a lot, I guess. I have no idea why I haven't realized that before, thank you. :3

10. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know the differences between boredom and depression. And I am 100% certain that it is definitely not boredom.

---------- Post added 16th Jan 2013 at 07:39 AM ----------

No problem, I overlooked it myself years ago, and kind of forgot about it.