1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my best friend - I'm scared.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dentarthurdent, Mar 1, 2008.

1. dentarthurdent

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've known I was bi for about ten years, but I have just now gotten to the point where I could admit it myself and I've come to terms with it (somewhat). It has been really hard because of my Christian background and being told how evil it is to be gay, even a little bit. But I've got to stop denying who I am.

The next step is coming out. I'm going to tell my best friend tomorrow, and I'm scared to death. I wrote a big long blog entry to post about it when I've come out to the really close people and I want my more peripheral friends and relatives to know, but I don't know if I should let her read that or just tell her. It's going to be soooo awkward, and we're spending the whole week together. So I thought at first I should tell her when I leave after the week is up, but then I realized it's kind of cowardly, and I'm not going to see her for at least another couple of months. But if I tell her right away...I don't know. I mean, I don't think she'll care that much, but what if she does? What if I freak her out and she thinks...I like her? Because I don't. Never been attracted to her that way. Help? :icon_sad:

This is such a weird weekend. I just got the job I've wanted for, well, ten years (!) , and now I'm trying to face this...Once I've told her, I hope it gets easier. I have two more besties to tell in the next month or so, then I'm going to tell my fencing buddies. Eventually I'll tell my mom and brother. My dad had better never find out. He is so homophobic. Phobic is not a strong enough suffix...he hates and is disgusted by all things gay.

2. MusicIsLife

Tell her. If she is really your best friend, she'll love you no matter what. My advice is to tell her as soon as you feel ready to, and tell her right off the bat something like, "Oh and dont worry about you and me, you're my best friend, and i dont like you in that way," or something like that.

But be careful who you tell, so it doesnt go back to your father. Im a catholic lesbian, and if m grandparents [who i love and care for more than i can put into words] found out, they would desert me in a second.

SO be careful who you tell, and make sure you tell them like, 'oh dont tell anyone else' because if its still a new thing for you, this being ok with your sexual preference stuff, you would not want other people telling other people, because if someone knows your dad, hes bound to find out, if tat makes sense?

so good luck, and if anyone hates you for being who you truly are, they werent worth your time to begin with. *hug*

3. dentarthurdent

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks. I feel a little better; still scared, though. I know she'll keep her mouth shut if I ask her to. It's just I can't imagine the thought of how much it will hurt if she can't accept me for who I am. We've known each other almost our whole lives.

If this one goes well, the next few should be pieces of cake. Thanks for the kind words and the hug. *hugs back*

4. dentarthurdent

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    She was like "Did you expect me to freak out?" It wasn't perfect, but it was good. :icon_bigg

5. SkyTears

congrats, the first is always one of the hardest

6. Wired106

Congrats! :grin: It gets way easier after you tell a few people :slight_smile: I don't think I care about telling people now because the main people i wanted to know, already know.

7. Vampyrecat

hey congratulations! that's really good. at least she didn't freak out too badly.