1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Lads' holiday

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mithrandir, Jan 16, 2013.

1. mithrandir

Basically my friends have begun to organise an all male holiday for this summer to somewhere abroad, details are vague.
    I've yet to come out to anyone and I'm scared that either;
    1. Ill go still in the closet and it will be really awkward because ill be expected to like at least flirt and dance with girls - can't think of a worse time to come out than on a holiday like this lol
    2. Ill be out and go and it will be crap
    3. An extreme case that they won't even want me to go anymore if I come out beforehand.

Has anyone else in this forum been in a similar situation? Did you go on the trip or abstain? It sounds like it will be hilarious and I'm not keen on missing it but it sounds like it might be my best option right now :/

2. ForceAndVerve

1. Who says you HAVE to do those things. I bet you'd still have a great time whether you did those things or not.
    2. Why would it go crap?
    3. Well that begs the question then: Do you feel you are ready to come out to your mates and how do you think they will take it?

My opinion: If you feel ready to come out to them do so beforehand and STILL GO WITH THEM. Otherwise, just go and have fun!

3. falsereading

falsereading Guest

I was in your position a couple of years ago and it was not that bad, a load of stereotypical lads who all they wanted to do was drink, shag and eat red meat, in all honesty I wanted to do the same just with men instead of women but alas that closet door was bolted top and bottom and had a yale lock on it.

I say go, stay in the closet if you want and just make excuses when the situation arises. Strip bars I did just sit and talk to the girls but did not ask for a dance ("I have no money") when my mates were flirting and failing there were always mates who could not be bothered on the sidelines at the bar I could talk to ("can't be bothered/they all look like trolls"). None of my mates cared or thought any differently.

Stay away from Magaluf, it was a sodding nightmare, more peace in the blitz.