1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is God against Gays?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Different, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Different

So I probably sound ignorant but this issue has come up quite a lot in my own life. I go to a Catholic HS and it seems like God loves everyone, right? Just because I'm questioning doesn't mean He loves me any less?

Just yesterday in religion class we covered a unit on homosexuality and basically my teacher said that people who are gay are going to hell (Yeah it was that bad). It's hard to live in a world where even in the house of God homophobia is rampant. What do you think; is God against gays?

2. FunnyMonkey

I don't think he is at all. I think he does love everybody. It's not about who you love in my book. It's about what kind of person you are.

3. I think the bible was mistranslated. And if not, I'm almost absolutely positive that everyone is going to hell. Because that would mean any women who talk in church/don't wear a hood are gloing to hell. Anyone who eats shellfish/shaves the sides are head are also going to hell... the original version of the Bible must have been very difficult to translate into English.

Regardless, he loves all of his children. We all sin. <3 :slight_smile:
    That means you, too!

4. castle walls

Matthew Vines talks about the issue better than I ever could. It is long but it is worth the watch. He goes through the bible and explains verses usually used against gay people. I believe that God loves everyone

[YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

5. Bree

No, God isn't against gays. If God made you, and He was against gays, why would He make you gay? The people who claim that He's against you aren't gay or else are so in denial that they can't understand that you were born the way you are, and if you were born that way it must be right.

6. Emberblaze

Don't listen to what others say, but find your OWN peace with God. That's what I did, and since then, I've seen life with an entirely new paradigm. It truly is a great feeling when you realize yourself that God loves you.

God doesn't make mistakes, and it's WHO you are that he cares about. So even if you do turn out to be gay, don't let this fear haunt you, because he does love you, I promise.

7. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I honestly don't know but with my personal history it would be pretty understandable if I didn't believe in god or religion. However I do and honestly I'm not worried about what god thinks of me as in my honest opinion if heaven exists he owes it to me.

8. Bryan90

Who knows? Who can really say that they know God? Who can really say what God truly feels? Religion is based on faith - faith in a believe that cannot be proven. So if you want to believe that God loves everyone - then have faith that God loves everyone.

9. PurpleCrab

The way I see this matter:

God loves everyone He created, but he promotes love over hate, constructivism over destruction, health over illness, and basically, happiness over sadness.

In the bible(s) that's the main gist of what is recommended, if you think about it; it's a big instruction booklet about Life. It recommends to flee what would have led to disease and sadness and destruction while trying to lead people to a better, happier way of life.

Now, some people obviously interpreted that book badly.

For once, in the Leviticus book, it speaks against pedophilia, rape and unprotected sex (out of marital bonds), not against homosexuality per say. Anybody who claims otherwise simply has a bad translation in their hands/interpreted it badly. My reasoning is simple: well, quite clearly, pedophilia, rape and unprotected sex lead to loads of bad stuff including diseases, drama, pain... while homosexuality is just being true to one's inborn nature (how God made you!), has its proper use in all society, and leads to no disease if you do it right (protected sex) so why would God hate that?

What would lead to suffering is to spend all your life fighting it; you would hurt people with homophobia, even kill people indirectly, and live with shame inside of you because you believe that you're less worthy than an heterosexual person. Think about it, if you were God and ever loving of all your children, wouldn't you want all of them to be happy? Wouldn't you be sad if your beloved people misinterpreted your words and kept themselves from being happy and from spreading joy around them?

On the other hand, it seems obvious to me that the way to go is to accept who and what you are as a gift from God if you're a believer (or as a gift from the universe if you're not) and do your best to have the most fulfilling happy life with it. Be happy and spread joy around you, make people smile, give them hope, that's what any parent would want of their children and that's what God wants of you. I'm 100% sure of it.

#9 PurpleCrab, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a Catholic or particularly a Christian, but my God is not against homosexuality at all. I laugh with him occasionally about the absurdity of these ideas. Just think: If you were a nigh-omnipotent cosmic being, would you care that the dominant creatures of one particular blue speck are mating with others of the same gender? One can imagine that more important issues arise when governing the universe.

Mind you, my religion is a personal one, with no history, no holy book, and no clear, defined set of beliefs. But I'm of the mind that you don't need to look OUTWARD to find God; he is found by anybody willing to look deep enough inside themselves.

"Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string. Accept the place the divine providence has found for you, the society of your contemporaries, the connection of events."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

#10 Argentwing, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  11. Kay

Kay Guest

If there is a god it would not be against gays as it made me the way I am so how would it hold me responsible for acting on my true nature. If we get beyond that question we find one that is far more interesting. Jesus says Judge not and you will not be Judged. If this is so than all the religious people who judge us would be racing us to see who gets to hell first.
    Mind you all religious people do not judge us and I have no problem with someone who believes in a god.

12. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

From a Christian point of view, yes God loves everyone but He doesnt approve of some of the choices we make. Im definitely not saying that people choose to be gay but we do choose whether or not to act on it. This is something im struggling with a lot at the moment but I feel called to celibacy until I figure this out. I'll let you know when i get an answer! :grin:

13. agonizingnose

if there is a god then he was portrayed as a loving indavidual. and it never said god hates gays (or anyone for that matter) it was the authers of the bible who said that :slight_smile:

14. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not sure if I believe in God, but if there is one, and if he created you in his image, then a part of him would understand what it is like for you.

15. elietto92

elietto92 Guest

16. Different

Thank you everyone!

17. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno, but I'll make sure to ask him next time we run into each other :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe in a natural balance of the universe, I do not believe in god however. In my point of view, intolerance and ignorance is just a temporary problem. :icon_bigg I'll tell you right now, too. If god really were real, and he didn't like me being gay or having a gay relationship, then he can just "f**! right off, and I don't care who I offend. That sort of treatment towards your "children" is psychologically demoralizing and twisted. Sounds a lot like child abuse...

I will never repent for loving someone and wanting to be with them. I will go straight to hell, and my man will probably come with me.~ <3

#18 Shadowsettler, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  19. Salazar

I go to a Catholic school, but the vast majority of people, including myself, don't actually believe in god. I think that being at a Catholic school has actually made me even more anti-catholic. If there is a god, surely he's too intelligent to care about sexual orientation.

But who knows? Maybe there's a Flying Spaghetti Monster?

20. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Gay people can be together as long as they don't have sex. God comes first.....".

I've heard that line before. I had a good chuckle at it. Because butts are poopy, or something... grow the f~ up. (sorry for the f-bombs, people really bother me sometimes)

...and what's the excuse for lesbians? Does it make the straight men pissed off that these girls won't put out for them?

I get really angry/ depressed/ confused/ hurt when people behave like this. If you want to believe in god, that's fine. It's time to give a little breathing room for other to be happy for once. The whole "War on Religious Freedom" rant reminds me of a spoiled child.

You've got more than enough freedom.

Just let us be happy for once.

#20 Shadowsettler, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013