1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being aware of "shame"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by katmando, Mar 1, 2008.

1. katmando

I know not for everyone, but I think for some people there is "shame" associated with being gay.

A guy from my running group who's name is Jim and I think of him as my mentor. He is married man with 2 grown kids. Who knows about some of my struggles. It is great to have an adult man, as a friend, an ally and just somebody you can trust in general.

I think what is great about him is he he does not take life too seriously. I am an runner, but he is a triathlete. I do not swim, but he emailed me kidding around and said put on your speedo and come join me in the pool(don't worry he is not making advances. I know him well enough, his wife, and he is just teasing)

But I responded back to him. I do not do speedos, but I don't mind looking at Greg Louganis in one. I think he wants me to feel comfortable because he said people like Greg louganis are well built. I felt shame for emailing him that I would like to see Greg in a speedo.

When I told Jim I was training for a race. I mentioned to him when I run on the track I compare myself to other runners in the group to size myself up to who I might be running against when I compete later this month. I told him I think of 2 people from our running group when I run to keep my pace steady, but one more in particular because he is a little faster.

I think I told Jim once that I looked at that guys match profile, because I had a crush on him.

These are my own feelings of "shame" Jim has no problem with me being gay or talking to me about it, the bigger problem is with me. I think its important for me to keep myself aware of this.

Thanks for letting me share
    Justin