1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why does he want me to get a boyfriend so bad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MerBear, Jan 17, 2013.

1. MerBear

okay so in November of last year (2011) i had a crush on this girl katie and somehow my dad found out about it but ever since then he's been begging me to get a boyfriend and it's really annoying. i don't want a boyfriend right now , im trying to move on from a girl who has recently left me (i won't go into details about that) and ever since i had that crush on katie , he's been saying "why don't you find a nice boy" "how about you get a boyfriend" and it's annoying me although one factor may be because i had been single for almost 2 years but he only started saying that after he found out i had a crush on katie but after i had that crush on katie , i kind of told him i was questioning my sexuality and the thing is he believes your either gay or straight which irks me.

but this morning , he told me again why don't you get a boyfriend?

i mean i can understand , he's being nice with the offer but i've told him over and over again , i don't want one right now

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Dad, I appreciate you trying to help, but I'm not sure you understand. It's not like I'm always equally attracted to both genders at all times. Sometimes I feel more attuned to guys, and other times I'm more attuned to women. Right now, I'm favoring women. That's just how it's going right now. I'm not getting a boyfriend right now because it just doesn't appeal to me right now. Maybe it will at some point down the road, and if it does, trust me - you'll be the first to know."

Lex

3. MerBear

yes thank you. next time i will say that to him :slight_smile:

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just tell him you don't want a boyfriend right now. Back when I thought I was straight and people said things like that to me, that's just what I'd always say. Or if I'm around someone who doesn't know about me.

5. MerBear

yeah. i just don't know why he keeps telling me to get one

6. Awkward Balloon

It could be that he's not comfortable about you liking girls, so he's trying to get you to focus on the hetero side of your bisexuality? (if that makes sense)
    Just give him time, he will eventually realise that you have no interest at the moment and he just has to accept it.

7. MerBear

yeah , i mean...i just don't want a boyfriend right now , i've told him that over and over again. he just wont listen. he believes im straight

8. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I know it's frustrating but just try to remember that he is doing what he thinks is best about you. My mom has been trying to get me to date one of my best friends for ages. She doesn't know for sure that I like girls but she suspects (it's kind of obvious). Anyway, THey just want the best possible life for you and this is how they think it will happen. So, yeah, if it bothers you, say something to him about it but just try to be as understanding about his point of view as you would want him to be about yours

9. MerBear

well i mean it's kind of funny how he's only been doing this ever since he found out i had a crush on that girl katie. he's never done it before

10. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How about you tell him the truth, that you don't want a boyfriend, but a girlfriend...eventually. Your feelings seem to have been very consistent over the past year and a half, even though I know you're still questioning. Just tell him that you're not interested in boys at the moment, but girls instead :slight_smile:

11. MerBear

wonder how he'll take that but i will when he says it again but i know exactly what he'll say
    "meris , you don't know what you want half the time. your probably straight , i don't know where you came up with this idea of liking girls but i know you like the back of my hand , you don't like girls" i just know! he will say that

12. Colours

My parents are the same, but the other way around. I told them I was bi half a year-ish ago. Since I broke up with my then bf, my parents must have thought 'OH MAYBE HE'S STRAIGHT AFTER ALL!!!!!' and the second I told them we had broken up, they asked 'oh but have you met a girl maybe?' And they keep asking things like, 'Is that your girlfriend?' 'Are you seeing a girl?' 'When are you bringing home a girl?'

Well have I got news for them...

But the thing is, it's got to do with understanding and acceptance... and you're just going to have to be very clear to your father, in hopes he'll come to accept it. There really isn't much more to it.

13. MerBear

yeah. i hope he does but he wont believe me

14. LouisKat

Out Status:
    A few people
    After I finally got my mother to believe I am pansexual (not yet told her about the genderqueer-ness) she started trying to get me to date every man I meet. (Ironically, the last one she seemed to really want me to date was a transman- unknown to her- and my mother considers transgender people to be of their birth gender. heh)
    I think your father, like my mother, is doing what he is doing mainly because he cares for you. Let's be honest, it would be easier to be in a heterosexual relationship if you can be attracted to the opposite sex. No one would ever yell a homophobic slur at you for holding your boyfriend's hand in public. You could get married in any state. I don't know him, so it may be his own hangs ups, but I am sure he wants what is best for you. When my mother hassles me about dating, I try to think of it in a positive light. At least they care, right? heh
    (also, maybe bring up to him that you are only 16. You do not NEED to date anyone, really. It's not like time is running out or anything. o___O)

15. MerBear

yeah , your right :slight_smile: thank you

16. Naomilly92

It sounds to me like he's pushing you to get a boyfriend cause he's scared that you're really gay, or more interesting in girls than guys. Maybe reassure him that you're attracted to both sexes and you don't need to go out with a guy to prove it, tell him you'll date who you want, tell him how he's making you feel when he asks you to get a boyfriend

17. MerBear

yeah but i actually am still trying to figure out if im really bisexual or not. im still working out if im attracted to guys or not so i can't really reassure him at the moment

18. Ianthe

Take him to PFLAG. Get other parents of LGBT people to talk to him. This will be helpful to both of you. Keep talking about PFLAG until he takes you to a meeting. Mention it every time he mentions that you should get a boyfriend.

You could also mention to him that questioning teens have a higher rate of sexual experimentation and teen pregnancy, and that he really shouldn't be pushing you towards "trying it out" with boys.

19. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think THIS might just do it, how about it Flyalone45?

20. MerBear

yeah haha definitey