1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I too young?/Is he too old?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Time, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Time

I think I have an idea of what's going to be said to me here, but I'm going to inquire about this anyway...

I met a guy who lives about 2 and a half hours away that's gay. He added me on MySpace about a week ago, and we just started talking from there as well as text messaging. We've gotten along really well, talked about a lot of things, and overall really connected. Eventually, we discussed us being in a relationship. We both agreed that we would like that, although it would be somewhat long distance.

The problem lies with age. I'm 13, turning 14 in a couple weeks, and he's 17, turning 18 in May. He knows, but he appears to be ok with it, as am I.

We've planned for him to spend the night at my house next weekend. I'm going to have to create some elaborate lie to my parents. My friends all think he's gonna turn out to be some old perv and I'm gonna be in heaps of trouble. I really want this to happen, but with lectures today from best friends, I'm second-guessing myself.

There are two things that I find a little odd about him. First of all, he has no problem with this distance. He's willing to just hop in the car and drive here without a problem. And second, he wanted me to send a couple pictures of me via multimedia text message. I wasn't about to send him nudes, but I did send a couple with my zipper half down and my shirt up.

I don't think there's any reason to doubt his age though. He's got a lot of pictures on MySpace of him, and overall he does seem like a 17 year old guy. I just don't know...

So what do you all think? I'm sorry that my thoughts are a bit scattered here, but hopefully it comes across clear enough.

2. ErikPinkLovesU

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He sounds wierd and you really shouldn't trust someone on that you only know thru the internet. If it was someone at school then amybe it might be differnt but he may just be tryin o get in your pants. You should be careful about that kinda stuff cus men get raped too so i dont think its a good idea. But if your really gunna do this bring a tazer! Happy hunting, I dont know why i said that..

3. KatoKumi

Ah, man, Time. You're a smart kid; you'll figure this out.

You have to look through everything though. Go through all the details, and see if it'll be worth it if it might not be what you expected in the first place. First of all, be safe about where you'll meet him. I don't think the first time you meet him should be him at your house.

I'm not one to care about age, really. [I don't think I'd go with a 17 or 18 year old though. But that's just for me]. Something bad might happen. The only time you'll ever hear me admit this, but Myspace can be dangerous. You can be anyone there, and you need to watch your back.

Like I said you're smart. I've seen you talk. You know how to hold yourself, and I like that. So just think it all through. Don't be too hasty, and you're only 13. So you have a lot more time to make mistakes. Don't make all of them now, lol.

Good luck; sorry if this didn't help you in any way x_x;

4. iPieman

I know this is going to sound really condescending, but you are too young to be starting in a relationship with someone who is that old and you met through the web; especially having him stay over as well! And don't lie to your folks, all the parents on the forum will attest to this - they always know!

5. Paralyzer

Well, I dont' know much about him.. but I think he's just horny..
    That's probably not the response you wanted X_X

Age to me means a lot when we're teenagers.. 2 years is a pretty noticable gap
    When you get past 20.. it means a lot less..
    I don't think he's right for you right now..

6. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ohhh...man...
    Like Paralyzer said...hes probably just horny...

I know, you dont want to hear that..

I mean, you met over the internet...hes 17 or 18...your 13...this doesnt look good.

Like someone said, your really young man, you have TONS of time ahead of you! My advice: dont do it.
    Don't Do It.

7. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to agree with everyone else here: it's probably not the safest or smartest idea to go through with your plans here. He may be an honest guy, but he may just as well not be. He's only just met you, not even in real life, and he's already willing to drive several hours to get to you. He's asking to send/receive photos between the two of you before ever meeting you, and now he wants to sleep at your house. You have too much ahead of you to make a mistake, and there will be plenty of time for serious relationships later. It's up to you, but I really think you should reconsider.

8. Jace

I don't really like the sound of tthis

And yeah its weird how when your a teenager a 1 or 2 year difference is huge, I tthink its because of grade levels or something, but if you were to ask me if say no if he was 14 or 15 yes but 18 no

9. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know I posted already...but dont do it man..

Dont Do It! The signs are all there, dont make a mistake like this.

10. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should just stay clear of this one and take the advice of everyone else and stay away. There is plenty of time left. You're only 13. Take your time, no rush. I would advice against it.

11. Time

Thanks for all of the replies.
    I'm taking them into consideration...

12. sdc91

If he visits, don't have any sex.

1) It's illegal
    2) It'll show that he's not just trying to get into your pants

If he doesn't storm off in a huff then he's probably okay. Age is a big deal when you're in grade school but I know there once you're out of grade school there are couples a few years apart or more who function just fine.

Are you aiming for a long term relationship?

13. jroakwood

ive always been one to hate that whole age thing.
    but i mean, you are thirteen.
    i mean, it gets less serious as you get older, in my opinion.
    two and a half hours is a long ways away anyway.
    and with him being the only one with the license, do you really think its going to work out? do you think he thinks it going to work out?

i'd say brush it off, stay online friends, and maybe someday it'll work out better.

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with what everyone above has said. If you do decide to meet....

1. Do not meet at your home. Meet somewhere public such as a shopping area.
    2. Make the meeting fairly short, a couple of hours or so.
    3. Do not take him back to your home, or go to a hotel or whatever with him.
    4. Do not have sex with him.

If he'll agree to all that then maybe he is interested in you as a person, and not you as a cute young virgin.

If he won't accept all that then forget him. It would be clear what he wants from this, and the 13-17 age gap is way too big for that.

Take a look at this thread http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7519 The age-range may be bigger but most of the other circumstances are very similar. That's why you shouldn't be going there.

15. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Heres my 5:35am headache after work advice.

Yeah he's definitely horny
    I'd meet him with friends at say a social junction like teh mall
    If you're expecting some grandiose long distance relationship then forget it

This is also an issue of your morals and values, more than it is of ours

Do you think it's fine for a 17yo to have sex with a 13yo?
    Would you be willing to accept that this may just be sex?
    Are you ready for sex?
    Do you think sex without love is okay?

If you answered no to the above then maybe you should reconsider

Will you regret this?

If anything he'll be spending both gas money and time to see you, so I'm pretty sure he'll want to see you naked, and yeah its pretty much done from there.

If you're worried about legal issues then, well, you should be. This guy can get into a lot of trouble. Meeting with this guy kinda constitutes a contract. If you guys meet and do the nasty, then you would have to keep him a secret. Unless he did you physical harm or substantial emotional harm, in which case you should report him.
    Are you willing to keep yet another secret from everyone?

Think wisely and make the right decision for you

16. Fiorino

Mark my words: DON'T DO IT!
    He wants to take advantage of you, he's horny and
    it's definetely a BAD IDEA. It's NOT OK for a 17 y-o
    to have sex with a 13 y-o, and you don't even know
    who he is, he could be lying about that too.
    It's your decision, but I hope you make the right choice.
    Why does he have to stay at your house? You can't just
    meet up in a public place for a while?

17. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

In my own opinion i think this sounds like a very dangerous situation. Almost similar to someone else post where they flew to meet a guy. You dont want to be overpowered by this guy or for him to make you feel like you "owe" him something (sex) for driving 2.5 hours to see you. I think you should call it off, your still young, enjoy your youth, you have many good experiences to come, IMO i think its too earlier for you to pursue something like this, you may end up getting taken advantage of. Just wait and live life and in a year or two i bet you will have met someone your own age.:slight_smile:

18. Connor

Connor Guest

I passionately disagree that the age difference is too large, however, I do agree that you should not meet him. You've known him a few days - have you really worked up the trust to let someone who is a complete stranger come to your house? Have you given him your address? I'm not trying to scare you, but I must stress that he could be anyone. You shouldn't do such things on some capricious whim. What is your plan of action if he turns out to be a completely different person from who he says he is? What's more, to spend the night at your house without parental permission sounds potentially disastrous.

If you really do like him I'd be a hypocrite to tell you to just end all contact with him, internet relationships can be perfectly legitimate. But perhaps you should keep it that way until you know him better. The only person who I've met from online I met:
    A) In the middle of the day in the constantly busy part of town used for shopping;
    B) When I'd known her for a year;
    C) When I'd seen her on webcam and heard her voice.

I also brought someone along and had my mobile phone. If you go against our recommendations and meet him, please do the things I listed above.

#18 Connor, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2008
  19. Ty

Ty Guest

I agree with the majority of what has been said above. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

20. Time

No, I haven't. He knows the town that I live in though.

That would be a pretty scary situation, I suppose. My mom will most likely be home if he does happen to not be who he says he is.

I should've elaborated more on this part. My mom will have to know he's spending the night. It's not like I'm going to try to sneak him in the house in the middle of the night or something. The lying part comes in on how I know him and why he's spending the night. The fact that he's 17, has a car, and lives 2 and a half hours away will look very suspicious to her. She doesn't know I'm gay.

As it stands, him spending the night next weekend is still on. We had an intense conversation last night via texting, and I'll definitely agree he's horny, but he also mentioned how he considers us more than fuck buddies or whatever you wanna call it.

I'm not 100% sure that I'm going to go through with it though. I'm still thinking and weighing it out.