1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by an0nchick, Jan 17, 2013.

1. an0nchick

Have you ever wanted to come out to someone, but couldn't?
    I just lied to my friend.

2. Totally! People ask me about my gender identity all the time. I suppose the real me is shining through, huh? I feel guilty denying it, though...

3. koilfong

koilfong Guest

my ex knows, but they want to hear the words and ive told myself "today is the day" multiple times and i always chicken out at the last second.
    but pretty much everyone that knows, just knows, i never said "im gay" to them except two people.

4. GreenT

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't been in the "field" long enough to have this problem. Of course family and friends know, and generally speaking I don't hide it. But when dealing with possible new friends, (or potential love interests as of late), it's difficult for me to even approach them to talk, let alone tell them my sexuality. Although I will say if I were in a generally gay are (as in the majority of the people themselves are already out) and someone approached me first to talk about such things, I could tell them without hesitation.

5. Nepenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes! I had a moment like this at work yesterday. It was the perfect opportunity, but I couldn't do it. Word gets around where live, and there are people in my family I'd like to tell myself before that happens. Holding it back still sucked though. I felt bad for the rest of the day.

6. AlexisAnne

I can identify with this in spades :slight_smile: Before I came out, orientation wise at least, I used to deny it all the time. Even when I began to accept it and wanted to just get it out there, I would still deny it if asked, and I'd have moments where I was geared up to tell somebody, but backed out at the last minute. I used to get so frustrated with myself! It got better in time, but it took a little while.

With my gender identity, I had a really opportune moment at work at one point. A female friend I work with and I were having a discussion about the differences between men and women, and I was totally agreeing with her and taking her side. I did slip up a little and said, before I could stop myself, that I didn't fall into typical gender norms. Before anybody could inquire further, I started a friendly argument with my female friend to put the attention back on her. It was a perfect moment and I let it slip. Eventually I did come out with it, but the moment was nowhere near as opportune as that one.

I don't think what you're saying is uncommon, and I think that given time you'll get passed it. Just remember, there's no rush and you set your own pace, so don't let it get to you too much :slight_smile:

7. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, absolutely. Hell yes, even.

Earlier this week I was here talking about how I've been waning to tell some of my fiends, and when I was having dinner with one of them I had the prime opportunity, but lost my nerve at the last second.