1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flirting 101

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GreenT, Jan 17, 2013.

1. GreenT

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm new to this forum, but already I've seen some troubled souls on here and have realized my handling of my sexuality has been so much easier than others. I am lucky in that sense. Anyway, I just moved about two hours away from my old hometown. I've been here for about a month and I know literally no one here. I have a hard time talking to people simple because I guess I'm socially awkward at first until I get to really know someone.

There's this guy who works at Kmart, we'll refer to him as Kmart guy (simply put haha). When I first moved here, my mother and I went there to buy some things for our new place. We checked out through his line and it felt so awkward, but in a good way. When we left the store my mother claimed he was eyeing me up and I didn't believe her. Back in my old hometown, it was a less diverse place. A majority of the people were straight, so I never really got hit on or anything by guys.

So we end up going there another time, and Kmart guy just happens to be working again. We go through his checkout line again. This time I try to pay closer attention. He was talking with my mom I believe but while doing so he was looking into my eyes at one point for an extended period of time and I was looking back. I felt...connected in a sense. The next thing he did was even more strange in my opinion. We had something heavy inside our cart (I think a vacuum). Instead of going around to scan it, Kmart guy gets on top of the conveyor belt/counter and leans over to scan the box, at one point turning to look at me. I just smiled and laughed, but oh god did my heart skip. To me it clearly seemed like a flirty action from him.

About a month later, I go there by myself and see him doing something else other than being a cashier. He was moving carts, and as I went to the checkout line he was going away from me. He turned at one point, then faced forward again, THEN TURNED AROUND AGAIN for an extended time, looking at me. Maybe I'm really just reading into this too much, but to me, that seemed like a double take, and after a month going by without seeing me, a random costumer, I would have thought he would've forgotten about me by then. Would it make sense then to say that he might have remembered me because I mean something to him?

Here are the two kickers: One, I don't even know his name! Oddly enough, half the people working at this Kmart wear name tags and the other half don't. I've seen him four times there, none with a name tag on. And two, I honestly don't know his sexuality. I have a friend who claims he's straight (as in he claims himself to be straight, not Kmart guy) but he still ends up saying and doing some pretty gay things towards me that confuse me sometimes. I realize this could be the case for Kmart guy as well.

So my problem is, how do I approach this guy to see if he's interested, or even gay for that matter? My biggest fear is saying something to him about it and him getting real offended, which in turn would probably bring me to tears. Does it even sound like he's interested? Or do you think he acted this way simply because he's a cashier and is expected to be nice to customers?

2. Deaf Not Blind

I was a store clerk once and a guy came in at night, looking for a mug, and i told him of another store. he came back bought one from me, and flat out asked me stuff that was akward. he then said something about how he had come back and bought it from me as if maybe i should be grateful or something. i think some peeps think i flirt when i am just being my friendly self, as required but also i just like to joke around and be fun.

on other hand, he could be as mom said eyeing you. and since you are gay, and maybe think he is not bad looking (you didn't say but implied) you hope he is.

one way to find out!

just don't be a creep like the guy at my store. be you, be calm, be funny! think of ways to go back maybe 2 or more times a week...forget something to buy?

start saying stuff back like "you know we really gotta stop bumping into each other like this! :slight_smile: " and see if you two can get a friendly banter. i have done it with just peeps at grocery store and when i was in hospital they actually prayed for me...so just this alone can make them start to care about you.

and yeah, some customers i did remmy, still do. some were weird, some really old, some really kind. that is the key one, the honest, kind ones, cause me no troubles, joke with me, hang out near my station a bit longer...i liked seeing them come in.

if he does find you cute, he can't ask on the job for your name, and sucks his badge not on. but you can make that one time part of the banter. "hey Stewie!" "Stewie? Me? that's not my name." "haha, I know, Im just making you one cuz you have none...all the others have name badges and i see you in here all the time and don't know your name!"

See?

3. Last Gentleman

Try and start some friendly conversation up. You moving to the new town will help.

Say something along the lines of, "we keep bumping into each other so often I thought I'd better introduce myself, I'm ......"

Or "I've only just moved here, where's the best place to meet new people?".

Out of those two, you should either get a name, or he'll tell you where HE hangs out so you can meet him outside of work hours.