1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why am I so touchy and sensitive about this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Delta, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Delta

I'm not transgender. I'm not even genderqueer. I'm actually attached to my birth gender like superglue. So why is it that anytime someone says something or treats someone like they are anything less than 100% the gender(s) they identify as, I bristle like none other. I really can't stand it if someone says little transgender girls are "boys that wish they were girls" or if someone knows about someone's gender identity and still calls them the wrong pronouns. And to some degree, I have the same thing for myself. I'm fine if someone calls me by a guy name jokingly, or says I'm "one of the guys", but the second someone says I am a guy, I immediately reply with "I am not male." Which sometimes wrecks the joking environment briefly. And when reading any articles that mention someone is a transwoman and then call her "him", I pretty much have to stop reading.

If I'm so incredibly cisgender, why is it that this is such a hot button issue for me? Why does it rub me the wrong way so much that I can't stand it? What the hell is going on in my head?

2. TheSeeker

Seems to me it would be because they are questioning your true gender identity. You sound like you know for sure that you are female. You don't have to dress in pink and frills to prove it, and you don't have to be girly to be a girl. Seems like you are insulted because someone is calling you something you know your not.

I would take offense, as a cisgender male, to being called a woman in any context. I am secure in my gender, but I don't want to be confused with something I am not. But, if it is all in good fun, then just explain to your friends that it really bothers you. Good friends will respect your boundaries!

Hope that helped,

The Seeker

3. Deaf Not Blind

IDK, good question. Maybe tomboys who know a few trans peeps and care about them can even feel a bit protection of them? If you do not have empathy, maybe you wish you could have it so you could be more caring?

4. Ashton

Let's just say... I was like that. For a while XD