1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are you supposed to come out if no one takes you seriously?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by acinorev, Jan 18, 2013.

1. acinorev

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a major jokester, people say I should be a stand up comedian or something, which I think is flattering, but when it comes to telling people I am a lesbian they just don't believe it. They think I'm just messing with them or something.

I finally have "convinced" a family friend (who is also a lesbian) that I am a lesbian, but my mom still doesn't believe me.

It's not that I'm afraid of her reaction or whatever, she just dismisses me every time I tell her. Maybe it's because of the way I'm telling her? It's mostly whenever the family friend makes mention of her orientation I say things like "oh, you're not the only one." and everyone just laughs like it's another one of my jokes. But it's not.

Is there anything I can do short of bringing home another woman to get it through my mom's head that I'm a lesbian?

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2013 at 12:56 AM ----------

Doh! I think I posted this in the wrong section. I thought it was support and advice.
    >.>

2. Ianthe

Tell her seriously, alone, when there are no other people there. It doesn't seem like she will have a problem with it.

I'll move the thread for you. :slight_smile:

3. SomeNights

^agreed. I had this happen with a friend and I literally had to take a photo of a crush and say " hey, what do you think about this guy?", and that settled that one

4. acinorev

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh I know she won't have a problem with it, and I don't think anyone else in my family will either. They're all pretty open minded.

They just don't believe me when I'm trying to be serious! It's kind of a curse for being such a comedian. :lol:

5. MatthewJS

If they dont take you seroiusly, just kiss a random girl for a very long time!

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

You have learned a valuable lesson...

Jokesters are often not taken seriously.

How much attention does the court jester get and would you heed their financial advice?

This life lesson applies far beyond your sexual preference.

Stuck

7. acinorev

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Stuck_mistake I've realized that. There are a few other things they don't believe me about because of my comedic charm, but this has been the most important thing. It's just frustrating. But I know it's my fault for never being serious about anything. Guess I've cried wolf. >.>

8. Deaf Not Blind

Wolf! Wolf!

Is anybody running to the rescue??

Ooopsy!

Well, if you stop playing wolf and just do other humor that does not entail fabrications, maybe next time you say something serious they will know the difference.

Let's just hope the person you ask out does not crack up laughing and say "good one!"

9. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have you pondered why you use humor to the point people disregard what you say?

Many people use humor to avoid the stress of being honest;

Hence;

Some feel that making truth into a joke they can relieve themselves of the burden truth carries.

Similarly those making a lie are avoiding the burden of truth.

You may want to ponder what makes you joke so much people ignore your words.

This goes beyond sexual preference.

Stuck

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2013 at 06:44 AM ----------

Hi,

If you want practical advice...

As suggested above sit down with your mother at a time when you will not be disturbed. Tell her you are concerned about your future because nobody takes your words or feelings seriously and then cite your sexual preference as an example.

Take the blame upon yourself for making everything into a joke and then ASK for her help in learning how to get people to listen, really listen to you.

Make NO jokes during this dialog.

It should get your mother's attention. If anybody knows how your comedic life approach is eroding your ability to be believed your mother will.

Best of luck.

Stuck

10. themonkey319

Oh man I relate to this. This was one of the most difficult things for me psychologically (but easy to solve), the only time I ever remember losing my cool over coming out. Luckily, my family is the best so I really never had to worry about them. I didn't tell my friends and coworkers for like...6 months after I told my family.

After all that time of suspense and buildup and me finally gaining the courage to tell friends/workmates...there were a few people I worked with that didn't believe me. They would say things like "Oh I heard you *came out* (most sarcastic tone ever) to Jenn yesterday...glad you're finding your *new self* AHAHAHAHAHA" next day... "How many bros did you get with last night?" ...etc. 100% sarcastic, totally thinking I was pulling a stunt. It made me so upset. All these years of holding in this secret, all this anxiety expended and now FINALLY I'm ready to accept it, and tell them, and move on, and these f***ers won't let me!! They've blocked my closet door!

Good thing is it was relatively easy (for me) to overcome. The thing that broke it for me was simply when I kinda half-snapped at them and said pretty sternly, "You know I really just don't understand why this is so damn hard to believe." Maybe a few additional descriptive lines but that's the gist of it. I'm really even keeled and rarely get angry. Spent the rest of that work shift perturbed and quiet and from then on, that was that. Nothing but respect and support afterward. Hopefully this will turn out to be as minor an issue for you as it was for me. Good luck! :thumbsup:

11. acinorev

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I use the humor as a way to cut the "awkwardness" out of the situation.
    I use this tactic in a few situations because comedy can sometimes ease the blow so to speak. I just hate the idea of having to sit down and be serious about it because it might be weird. I just wish they'd believe me when I try to tell them in a not so serious, and light and funny way. But that's not working for me.

I guess I'll just have to get over that and tell her. Seriously.

Thanks everyone for the advice. :3

@EZ2Bmyself it's kind of nice to know I'm not the only one going through a situation like this. Thank you for sharing your story with me. It definitely helps. :3