1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Hate my Dad!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Vampyrecat, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Vampyrecat

Seriously, he only ever thinks of himself! He has this fucking HUGE ego which has to be fed every day, even at the expense of everyone. He has to be the big clever dick who knows everything.

Warning : the rest of this is about the fight, which concerns maths. If you hate maths, don't bother reading the rest.

I asked him for some help with my maths homework and he's treated me like I'm 5 years old and like I've never seen it before. I have. I asked him for help on finding an equation to predict a time and length, and I'd already done everything else. And I know I did it right, because I checked. And he goes through my whole equation and analyses it as though I have no clue how to write an algebraic linear equation and like he doesn't trust me! FFS! I'm doing both year 11 and year 10 maths, and I'm doing Linear Equations in both. I know how to do this stuff.
    I only asked for help to write an expression, and he looked at my formulae
    y=mx+c
    y=11x+c
    57=11x+c
    57-11 = c
    46=c

This is where we argued, because I know for a fact that when you move 11x to the other side it makes the (x) part null and void. x simply stands for 1. it is 11 times 1 or 100 times one or whatever you have in front of it.
    my answer was correct cos I double and triple checked it, and I had it all graphed out, and it came back the same everytime. But my pigheaded dad just ignored all that and said I was doing it wrong and that the whole equation was wrong. IT WASN'T. He simply can't read the fact that, that equation was for one part of the question and the bit I was asking help for was for another part completely.

Total.
    EFFING.
    :***: hole.

2. Umm Tess hun, maybe you do it different there but here when we move 11x to other side the variable doesn't just go away, it becomes -11x. Also I don't see how you would solve that equation when you're still missing c. If you had c you could subtract c from 57 then divide by 11 but you can't do that there since c is unknown.

#2 Midnight Angel, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2008
  3. davo-man

It is really frustrating when people treat you condescendingly, it's one of my pet hates...

That said; I'm not sure of the entire situation/question, but I agree with Emperor. Just because you move it to the other side, doesn't make the x=1. You can only do that if you know that when y=57, x=1; so unless you have a specific case like that, you can't assume x=anything. Then again, you may have been given a specific case like that, which makes what I'm saying null and void

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow that sucks when people act like that...I'm not going to do what the others did and question the equation you wrote, because it seems like you were given something particular...I absolutely hate being patronized and told you're wrong when you know you're absolutely right. I hope things aren't too bad between you.

5. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

is that the full equation ? seems like the number 57 just appeared out of no where?

can you list out your variables for me? whats the original equation look like? so i can give it ago?

i was taught with the equation y=mx+b (which is the same thing i guess)

6. davo-man

You make an excellent point heatqueen. I shouldn't have jumped straight to disbelieving you. The issue is your relationship with your father, not the relationship between variables. I have a very strained relationship with my father as well. For some reason, I just don't particularly like him as a person, regardless of whether he fathered me or whatnot. I just don't want to get along with him, because if he wasn't related to me, I wouldn't want to get to know him

I hope your relationship gets better and as you get older he treats you like an adult

7. Krischaos

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    x's in linear equations dont become null in void the x moves with the number so it would be 57-11x = c so technically your dad was right but im not saying he wasnt being ajerk or anything

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

This shows again that you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family. :frowning2:

9. Bryan

I know this all to well, I feel your pain. Except I have much worse situations than math problems.